This Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower is made with Jamaican Jerk Seasoning is blend of warming spices and heat is perfectly mingled together in this smoky, earthy combo. Goes well with cauliflower, you can get this vegan, gluten free side dish less than 30 minutes.
You usually don’t know where the inspiration for next blog post will come from. Yes, I got this recipe idea from a visit to HEB, my local grocery store. I got a sample of Jamaican Jerk cauliflower from the one of the cooks who were preparing and selling this dish. I liked the taste of spice blend and decide to make my own Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower.
First, I got the pre-mixed spices and I also got a coupon which was a buy one get one free. But when I reached the cashier, I found that I only got the one not the free spice. So, I returned the product to cashier and told him I didn’t get the free spice blend which comes along with it, so I am not taking it. After coming back to home, I decide to hunt the recipes for Jamaican Jerk seasoning. It is not that easy I found of lot variation in the recipes.
I thought that making my own spice blend will be good idea and the mix will be fresh. Finally, I made it. I want to go liberal with my spices. You can call me spice fanatic, maybe I was born and brought up in spice land of India, yes Kerala. I found in Jerk seasoning, I need to include all spice, ginger, thyme and Scotch bonnet pepper. I don’t have scotch bonnet pepper in hand, it is said that the scotch bonnet pepper is one of the hottest peppers in the world. Measuring its heat on the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) the scotch bonnet is 100,000-300,000 SHU hot whilst a chili pepper like the jalapeño is only 4000-8000 SHU. So, I used both smoked paprika and Cayenne pepper in which later one is hot still not that hot as scotch bonnet pepper.
If you are looking for a simple at same time an easy side dish, go for it. You can feel the heat only after eating. Yes, blend of warming spices and heat is perfectly mingled together in this smoky, earthy combo. Make this ahead. This is perfect to cook not only cauliflower you can use it any everything, fish, chicken, meat of your choice. I think even sweet potato will be good. You may see jerk sweet potato recipe from me. Give it a try and let me know.
Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning.
- 11/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground all spice
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ Tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar if not use brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tsp salt *
- For Jamaican Jerk cauliflower
- 1- 10- ounce cauliflower flowerets or ¾ head of medium cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 Tablespoon Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- Combine everything and store it in air tight container
- For Jamaican Jerk cauliflower
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Place sliced cauliflower in a bowl with olive oil, cumin powder and Jamaican Jerk seasoning, toss to coat.
- In a foil lined baking sheet, spread out sprout mixture in a single layer, roast in oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy with little sour cream/yogurt.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.