Delicious Joululimppu/ Finnish Christmas bread made with rye flour, spices and molasses excellent breakfast bread.
Ingredients for making Joululimppu
Add dried orange peel to the dough make it more delicious Joululimppu /Finnish Christmas bread.
Joululimppu/ Finnish Christmas Bread
- 1 ½ cup 203g Rye flour
- 2 cup 300g Whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoon 67g Molasses
- 1 teaspoon 2g fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup buttermilk I made using 1 cup of milk + 1 tablespoon of vinegar set aside for 5 minutes
- 3 teaspoon Instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 56 g/4 tablespoon melted butter
- Juice of 1 orange
- ¼ cup water
- For brushing
- 1 tablespoon molasses extra
- 100 ml water
- In a microwave safe bowl add molasses, spices and orange zest heat it for about 30 seconds and high heat and set aside.
- Extract the orange juice and set aside.
- In a bowl of kitchenaid stand mixer weigh, both flours, instant yeast, salt and set aside.
- Add the molasses spice mixture, buttermilk, orange juice and water into the flour and with paddle attachment mix everything to form a sticky dough.
- Replace dough attachment and knead once the dough for about 10 minutes or using hand 15 minutes to smooth but not sticky dough and set aside.
- Transfer the dough into well greased container and cover and set aside for doubling for about 90 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, punch down the dough and set aside for another 30 minutes of doubling .
- Once the dough is doubled transfer the dough to table and shape it into a tight ball, and transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper for second rise of about 40 minutes. Make sure to prick the dough all over with fork.
- At end of second baking time preheat oven to 400F and bake the bread for about 20 minutes.
- While bread is baking make syrup using one tablespoon of molasses and water and set aside.
- Remove the bread from the oven and brush them with syrup and continue to bake for about 20 minutes or until the bread register the internal temperature of 190 F.
- Let the bread cool in the baking sheet for about 5 minutes and after 5 minutes transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool the bread completely before slicing.
- Enjoy the bread with butter.
- If you can catch hold of dried orange peel that is better
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.