Soak the par boiled rice for about 45 minutes then grind into coarse paste with enough water and mix in old dosa batter, soaked chana dal, chopped ginger, green chili, red chili powder, salt, asafetodia and curry leaves. If you batter is not perfect, add a teaspoon of rice powder so that you will be about make medium ball of dough out of it, fry in medium hot oil until it become golden brown and crispy.
Karavada/ Rice and lentil fritters
- 1 ¼ Cup /250g Parboiled Rice If you have Doppi rice in hand use it
- ¼ Cup/47g chana dal/split chickpeas soaked for 40 minutes
- ½ cup one day old dosa batter
- 1 Green chili
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rice powder
- 1 ¾ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon of Asafoetida
- ⅛ teaspoon of Baking soda optional, I didn’t used it
- 2 sprig Curry leaves chopped
- 4 Cups Canola Oil
- Soak rice and chana dal for 40 minutes. Wash and drain the rice and chana dal in a colander and set aside.
- Grind soaked rice in a grinder using 1 ¾ cup of water add water as needed. Make sure to grind into a coarse paste .
- In a medium bowl, to the ground batter mix in, ginger, green chili, salt , red chilli, dosa batter and asafoetida, soaked chana dal and curry leaves. set aside.If the batter is not thick add rice powder and make it into thick batter so that you can make balls out of it.
- In a thick bottom pan heat oil to 350 F, add a drop of batter to check oil is ready, if it is ready, dough will comes up immediately. Then add medium sized balls and fry for about 6-7 minutes or until they become golden brown color, flipping in between.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fried fritters from oil and transfer to kitchen towel to remove
- excess oil.
- Enjoy warm with coconut chutney and Sambhar.