Delicious Sourdough dinner rolls made with little yeast too boost and young levain, for flavor, great for sandwiches and as toasts.
Friday started with gloomy weather and rains, and it was raining all night, also in the weather forecast they are predicting a 100% rain tomorrow, so no outing on Saturday. This week I made a bread Pain de campagne. For that I needed to make levain, and used half of it, rest I don’t want to throw it away. So decide to use it in this dinner rolls, thus Sourdough dinner rolls were born. Yes it is delicious, I asked my hubby to make Pav bhaji, a mashed potato filling which goes well with it.
If you wondering what is levain, it is a bread starter made with sourdough or wild yeast. To make levain, water, flour and sourdough are mixed together and sits aside for several hours of days to develop flavor and strength. Good levain produce good bread. A well-ripened levain will be bubbly, and extremely elastic.
I needed levain to make pain de campagne, I used the recipe from Ken Forkish “Flour, water salt and yeast”. However he used only ½ of the levain, rest of the levain is thrown out; I don’t like that part, so decide to make the dinner rolls. I made it eggless dinner rolls, with levain, flour, water, and little yeast, salt, and sugar, milk powder and potato flour. First made the dough with levain and rest of ingredients, and did 4 folds at every 30 minutes during first hours of mixing. Then I did an overnight proofing in refrigerator. Next morning, I shaped it and proofed once again and baked into 350 °F preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
It is delicious has soft crust and tight and chewy crumb goes well as any sandwich. Excellent to make it as sliders, we enjoyed with Paav bhaji, a spicy vegetable medley that goes well with fresh bread. The bread used with Paav bhaji traditionally is white soft sandwich bread like this one.
I liked the taste and flavor sourdough dinner rolls. If you are fan of sourdough bread like me then give it a try, it is really delicious, you won’t believe me until you make it. I made 10 dinner rolls, and got finished within a day. My 2 year old son also enjoyed it thoroughly; it was really cute to see him eating the slice of bread with little ketchup. Yes ketchup is their universal sauce; they don’t know to eat anything without it. My hubby teases me that I need to buy shares in Hunt’s ketchup company.
Here comes the recipe.
Levain Dinner Rolls
- 50 g/ half of 1/3 cup + ¾ tablespoon Mature active starter
- 200 g /1 ½ cup+ 1 tablespoon white flour
- 50 g/1/3 cup+1/4 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 200 g/3/4 cup water
- I used 170 g of leavin for pain de `campange and rest for levain dinner rolls
For leavain dinner rolls
- 10.4 oz/1 ¼ cup leavain
- 1.12 cup /9 oz water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon /27g potato flour
- ¼ cup/32g milk powder
- 2.7 cup/ 342g bread flour
- ¼ teaspoon/1 g yeast
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- In a plastic bowl mix all the ingredient for the levain including the starter and
- just mix like this
- set aside for 6-8 hours at room temperature before you mix the final dough.
- For the dinner rolls
- In a 12 quart plastic container mix all ingredients for the buns, except, salt, levain, butter and yeast.
- After 20 minutes of mixing add salt, leavain , butter and yeast and mix once again
- and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Then fold the dough from sides to center and set aside
- once again for 30 minutes to do a second fold, continue this process until you finished the 4 folds. Set aside the dough into refrigerator for overnight.
- Next morning, divide the dough into 19-10 equal sized ball,
- set aside for proof /double for 45 minutes. While dough is proofing preheat the oven to 350F.
- When you are ready to bake do an egg wash
- and bake them for about 35 minutes or until they become golden brown in color.
- Remove from the baking sheet and cool for an hour and enjoy as much you want.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.