My love affair with sourdough is going strong. Sourdough bread always amazes me when I see the finished product. It is like I did a great achievement. This time I decided to try this Light Rye and wheat Sourdough Bread. This again is a simple sourdough bread made with little rye, whole wheat and bread flour. This I joined my Friend Marissa who is also blogger who blogs Thermofan for this baking. Our mutual love for sourdough made us to start a baking project, Sourdough lovers.
Yes, we are going to bake a sourdough bread every month. We have been together in Baking Partners. She is not only good friend, but also a great human being. You guys can see more sourdough bread creations from us soon. I think making more breads will improve my skills, still getting hang of sourdough. Mastering sourdough is our end goals.
This is simple light rye sourdough bread. Crumbs are tight because of rye and whole wheat. Crust is also perfect. If you are looking for a everyday day sourdough bread, then this is a good bread. My hubby loves sourdough bread that too with Rye flour. Sourdough bread helps him to control blood sugar levels. If you have a sourdough starter ready in hand, then give this one a try.
Sourdough bread is the one you learn by doing. You’re not going to make a great loaf by reading a recipe or checking with a cookbook; you’re going to have to get your hands in the dough, and you might have to try it a few times. Stay with the process, learn to work with the ingredients, and enjoy the adventure. Sourdough bread always amaze me sometimes I get the crust and crumb I needed sometime not.
Also, not all sourdough bread is sour, sourness of the bread depends on the presence of bacteria — Lactobacillus and Acetobacillus — which grow alongside the wild yeast in the sourdough culture and help ferment the sugars in the dough determines the sourness.
Do you want to see how is Marisa of Thermofan’s Light Rye Bread take a look at here.
Are you ready to tackle your sourdough bread, then try this simple and delicious bread?
Light Rye and Wheat Sourdough Bread
- 50 g starter
- 375 g Luke warm water
- 20 g honey or agave or sweetener of your choice about 1 tbsp
- 106 g rye flour
- 200 g whole wheat flour
- 200 g bread flour strong white flour
- 9 g salt
- Mix starter, water and honey / sweetener first. Then add flour and mix so that everything combines not knead. And set aside for 30 minutes
- Then add salt and mix again.
- Do fold and strengthen the dough 30 minutes (4 turn for 2 hours)
- Then 1-hour interval turn twice (that is for another 2 hours)
- Then set aside for another 4-5 hours at room temperature to double in volume.
- Then shape the dough into a boule. (make sure to dust the banneton with mix of rice and bread flour)
- Then cover it in plastic bag and refrigerate for overnight.
- Next morning when you are ready to bake pre-heat oven to 450F/ 232 C
- Then transfer the dough into a Dutch oven or cast-iron soup pot. Score the dough and bake for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce the temperature to 425F/218C and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Then remove the lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the boule is golden brown and interior temperature register 200F/ 93C
- Remove from the oven and transfer to wire rack cool completely then cut it into slice.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.