One of my favorite fruit in this world is Mango; and I am crazy about it. So I buy them whenever possible. If they sell it for 50 cents I am like lottery winner. I buy them that may be side effects of growing up in a tropical country. Here in Texas I can get mango throughout the year where as in India only during summer months. Once you buy the mango next is search for using them in recipes, I tried most of Indian recipes with it, so now I am in the mood of making mango muffins, mango ice cream, mango cake and cupcake. And this time I made Mango Kuchen which is a kind of coffee cake.
Kuchen means cake in German. It has wide variations, some have yeast, some have sour cream and some are kind of coffee cake. First my idea was to make with sour cream then I drop that and made a coffee cake version. During fresh cranberry season, I love to make this Cranberry vanilla coffee cake a lot. This recipe is inspired from a taste of home magazine recipe. Since I have mango in the hand I used to make a mango coffee cake. I changed the pan size as I have only 11 x7 inch pan and reduced the amount of sugar in the streusel. Also used cardamom that is spice go well with mango .
I like the fact that mango kuchen goes well the cup of coffee or tea. My daughter enjoyed it. Whereas my son who cares only about chocolate told me it is good. If you are in a mood to explore a simple recipe for cake then this is the one for you
I used mango, if you don’t like it, use any fruit. As this base recipe is highly versatile it can incorporate any fruit of your choice. I think if you are fruit person then try this at least once. You will fall in love with it for sure. Uniqueness of this recipe is it uses melted butter and you don’t need to worry about creaming. You can go creative on mango slices arrangement I am lazy so added only cut pieces. Here is the delicious cake slices you can enjoy any time.
- 1-1/2 cups (195g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon (2g) salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh Mango Chopped into 2 inch pieces
- For Topping
- 2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon butter , melted
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add the milk, butter, egg and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. spread with Mango. In a bowl, combine sugar and flour; add butter. Toss with a fork until crumbly; sprinkle over mango . Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.