I was literally living on milagaipodi for first six month of my stay there. Then I found a friend and started visiting her house during the weekend and learnt a lot of dishes from her. She is a good cook she makes very easy and also authentic recipes with lot of grace. When I started interest in cooking, my mom was gone, so whatever I recreate is from what I have saw while she made it and also from what my dad can remember of my mom’s cooking. My dad had taken care of cooking for last few months before my mom passed away as she had become highly diabetic and not able to cook. He even wrote recipes in piece of paper and give to me while I was visiting him.
Milagai podi/Spicy lentil chutney powder
- 30 Red chilies
- 1/2 cup Urad dal/Black gram dal
- 1/2 cup Chana dal/split chickpeas
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Black sesame seeds
- 1 Asafetodia
- Dry roast each ingredients separately urad dal turn slightly pink it took about 3 minutes. Chana dal turns slightly brown it took about 6 minutes. Black sesame seeds should crackle and slightly roasted about 2 minutes. Red chilies turn slightly brown and gives out strong aroma it took about 3 minutes. Roast the asafetodia till they become brittle about 2 minutes. Set aside until they become cool enough to touch.
- Grind everything into fine powder and mix with salt.
- Enjoy with dosa or idly or like me add to stir fries.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.