Mini Apple Pie
- For Crust
- 1 ¾ Cup/245g All purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon/2g Salt
- 1 tablespoon /15g Sugar
- ¾ cup/157g Chilled butter
- 5 tablespoon Ice cold water
- For filling
- 3 ½ Granny Smith Apples
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoon White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl mix all purpose flour, salt, sugar. To this add chilled cubed butter, using a pastry blender blend the butter well into the flour mixtures resembling pea’s structures. To this gradually add ice cold water and bring everything to form dough. Divide the dough into two equal pieces of 237g and wrap it with plastic wrap and chill the dough for about 1 hour. You can also freeze the dough for about 1 month at this time.
- While the dough is chilling make the filling, peel, core and cut the apple into small pieces. To this add lemon juice, spices, salt, sugars, cornstarch and mix everything well and set aside for 1 hour. After one hour of resting at room temperature you will see that apple will release the juices. Collect the juices in separate bowl and add butter and microwave for high at 2 minutes to reduce the volume of juices. Once juice volume is reduced add back the thick juice into apple pieces and mix well.
- once the dough is chilled take out the one half of the dough and transfer to a parchment paper dusted with little flour and spread it into a thin sheet, using bowl or cup larger than your cupcake /muffin tin cut about 8 inch round disc. Gradually press the circular disc into the cupcake pan. Prick well using a fork. To this add 2 tablespoon of apple filling.
- The spread the other half of the dough into thin sheet and cut it into thin strips of ¾ inch. These strips are used to make lattice top. Try to overlap one another to make beautiful lattice.
- Preheat oven to 375F. While oven is preheating chill the prepared apple pies in the refrigerator.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until top is browned and juices starts bubbling. Make sure to line the cup cake pan using a baking a sheet to prevent the dripping of juice in the oven.
- Allow to cool the pie in the cupcake tin for about 1 hour and then carefully tilt and transfer to serving plate while it is warm.
- Enjoy with or without vanilla ice cream.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.