Delicious bite sized mini pumpkin whoopie pies made with pumpkin puree, extra dose of spices and touch of vanilla extract.
How is weather there? Here it is bitter cold; my plants are going to die. I can’t help it. It is cycle of nature; they will come back next summer. It is 15th of November means baking partner’s challenge reveal date. This month we are going to do whoopie pies. I made this delicious mini pumpkin whoopie pie. My kids loved a lot.
This month challenge was suggested by Anitha’s kitchen diary. She suggested two whoopie pie recipe, one with pumpkin and other with chocolate. I want to try with pumpkin so choose pumpkin whoopie pie.
What is whoopie pies?
Whoopie pies are considered a New England trend and a Pennsylvania Amish tradition. Whoopie Pies have also been known as a “gobs.” in Western Pennsylvania. They are neither cookie, more like cake in cookie form. Usually sandwiched with sweeten filling.
I tried earlier a savory version of whoopie pie, end up throwing in the trash, so this time I was over cautious, read lot of recipes available in internet. Finally I combined the Joy of baking’s recipe which is suggested by Anitha also with pumpkin whoopie pies.
You need following
Pumpkin puree ( not pumpkin pie filling )
Spices ( cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves )
Sugar: Brown sugar for the filling and powdered sugar for the filling.
Butter ( Use unsalted butter)
Cream cheese ( tangy cream cheese goes well with sweet pumpkin) excellent filling.
Made changes like reduce the sugar and increase spices, yes I went overboard with spices. It has cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves etc. Also added canned pumpkin puree along with egg and vanilla extract, I made mini version, as usual when I introduce a new recipe to my kids, I don’t know how they react.
This is keeper recipe I am going to make it more often, may be going to start a tradition during thanksgiving month. I got about 28 mini cookies, which will make 14 whoopie pies when you sandwich them.
You can double or triple the recipe to make a big batch.
Here comes the delicious pumpkin whoopie pies.
First make the cookies,
Dry ingredients with spices. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, all spice, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl.
Brown sugar with butter
Brown sugar butter mixture with egg
Pumpkin puree + flour mix ( dry ingredients )
Drop by heaping measuring teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets.I used an ice cream scoop (you will get a total of 28 cookies).
While it baking at 350F for 14 minutes make filling
Butter, cream cheese , powdered sugar and vanilla extract
Once the cookies are cooled, pipe the filling and sandwich between two cookies.
Mini pumpkin whoopie pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon of butter
- ½ cup+1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
- ½ cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, all spice, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large mixer bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add egg, beat well.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla extract; beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture until combined.
- Drop by heaping measuring teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets.I used an ice cream scoop (you will get a total of 28 cookies).
- Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until springy to the touch. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- FOR CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Spread heaping teaspoon of filling onto flat side of one cookie; top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Store in a covered container in refrigerator.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.