This Mushroom, Beets, spinach and avocado salad is heart healthy loaded with antioxidants,rich in fiber and healthy unsaturated fats from avocado. If you are looking for a simple and easy and at the same time bursting with flavor then go for this Mushroom, Beets, Spinach and Avocado Salad. Only thing you need to work is to roast the mushroom and Beets then rest mix in. This salad is forgiving too you can add any other ingredients available in refrigerator. Yes, if you are out of spinach then go for arugula or kale or any other greens.
What is Heart healthy vegetables?
If you are looking for heart-healthy salad, this one is loaded with antioxidants, fiber-filled vegetables and healthy unsaturated fats (hello, avocado!).
Leafy Green Vegetables
Leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale and collard greens are well-known for their wealth of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
They’re also high in dietary nitrates, which have been shown to reduce blood pressure, decrease arterial stiffness and improve the function of cells lining the blood vessels (here). If you increase the intake of leafy green vegetables, then you can lower risk of heart disease.
The avocado also help to decrease bad” LDL cholesterol, including lowering levels of small, dense LDL cholesterol, which are believed to significantly raise the risk of heart disease (here).
Beets are packed with essential vitamins, minerals and plant compounds, some of which have medicinal properties. Beets contain a high concentration of nitrates, which have a blood pressure-lowering effect. This may lead to a reduced risk of heart attacks, heart failure and stroke. If you like to have beets in your morning smoothies try this recipes.Red letter Smoothie bowl with almonds
It is known that all type of edible mushrooms contains varying degrees of protein and fiber. They also contain B vitamins as well as a powerful antioxidant called selenium, which helps to support the immune system and prevent damage to cells and tissues.
In particular, white button mushrooms are one of the few non-animal sources of vitamin D. When they are grown, whether indoor or outdoor, they are exposed to UV light which increases their concentration of vitamin D.
Mushrooms have been shown to have some therapeutic properties that can help to lower cholesterol, as well as phytonutrients that can help prevent cells from sticking to blood vessel walls and forming plaque build-up. This in turn then helps protect the heart by maintaining healthy blood pressure and circulation.
What are substitution you can make for this salad if you can’t find ingredients.
- If you are not able find button mushroom use portobello or any other edible mushrooms. if you are using big mushroom like portobello cut them into slices before adding to salad
- Peas, Asparagus and Broccoli: As it may sound a little weird, but peas, asparagus and broccoli are one of the best substitutes if you can’t find avocado.
- If can’t find spinach, then go for arugula or kale or any other greens.
- If you are not able to find fresh beets, you can use canned beets. As unlike other vegetables that taste different than their freshor frozen counterparts, canned beets retain a flavor that of fresh beets. They also maintain about the same nutritional value as fresh beets, giving you a good source of fiber, iron and folate.
How to make this salad.
First part of making salad include roasting the mushrooms and beets. Place both mushroom and beets in oven and take out mushroom after 10 minutes then continue to bake the whole beets for some more until they are fork tender. Then make a simple dressing with lemon juice, pepper salt and mix in enjoy.
Best part is that you can keep salad in refrigerator and serve. If you are planning to store it in refrigerator skip adding greens and mix the greens only when you are ready to serve that way you won’t get any beets-soaked greens.
Mushroom, Beets, Spinach and Avocado Salad
- 8 once button mushroom 1 packet
- Juice of half lemon
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup roasted beets chopped
- 1 ripe avocado thinly sliced
- On large rimmed baking sheet button mushroom add butter oil mix and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and ¼ tsp pepper; roast at 400°F 15 minutes or until tender.
- In the same pan warp and beets with parchment paper and roast at 400°F for first 15 minutes and then increase the temperature to 425°F and roast for about 50 minutes.
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, shallot and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; toss spinach, and beets and mushroom and half of avocado . Divide among serving plates. Top with avocados and sprinkle extra pepper if you want and serve
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.