While growing up I didn’t care much about Muthira//Kollu / Kanam/ horse gram/Indian brown lentils. When mom cooked it, both mom and dad would enjoy the dish, both I and sister will go for only sweets. Now after reading its health benefits, and trying to find low carbohydrate food to include in the menu, I am using these long lost good lentils.
- Wash and soak the horse gram for overnight, next morning, cook them with 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker for about 4-5 whistles and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal and halved red chilies, when mustard seeds start splutter add chopped onion, garlic and green chili and fry for about 4-5 minutes. Then add cooked horse gram/brown lentils.
- To this add turmeric powder, salt and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add coconut, cumin powder and red chili powder and mix once and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and enjoy with rice and gravy.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.