This recipe is very easy, trust me I like this kind of recipes as I only need to mix everything the night before and forget, and next morning I can bake a delicious Focaccia akka flat bread. Earlier I have tried with instant yeast, but this time I wanted to use my trusted sourdough starter to do the job. Yes, I made with this No-Knead Sourdough Focaccia.
I used recipe from Artisan Sourdough made simple by Emilie Raffa. Earlier when I made with instant yeast it is good but did not have the taste I was looking for. Finally, I was able to get it my sourdough starter to get work. I have tried with all-purpose flour alone as well as all purpose flour-whole-wheat flour combo. Both turned out to be delicious.
In my house savory filling like tomato, rosemary and garlic got more point than berries like strawberries and blueberries, yes, I tried fruit focaccia with same dough, but it had no taker. Even my princess wants the savory one. Hubby tried with zaatar dipping oil. My daughter enjoyed it with her favorite orange marmalade. I am fine with eating as such.
Only thing you need to do is need an active starter and mix flour, honey and water by the night and next morning you can bake the focaccia. I got slightly bigger slice as I didn’t try it in 14×9 inch pan. If you have then use it.
You don’t need to knead, fold, shape which is must in any sourdough bread preparation. This one just mix the flour then dump into the baking sheet slightly spread and then fill in with your favorite toppings and bake it. Only hard part is to wait until it cools down. Then you can enjoy every slice with your favorite dipping oil. Mine is just zaatar spice mix and olive oil.
No-Knead Sourdough Focaccia
- 50 g active starter
- 375 g water
- 20 g honey
- 500 g all-purpose flour ( I have tried 400g all purpose flour + 100g whole wheat flour also
- 9 g fine sea salt
- 45 g olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes halved
- Garlic cloves with cover intact
- Evening before baking add sourdough starter, water, honey and mix well to this add all-purpose flour or (all-purpose flour-whole wheat combo mix) and salt and mix well the dough will be very sticky set aside for 12-18 hours or overnight until it bubbles up.
- Next morning in a baking sheet pour the olive oil and add the dough and spread it into rectangle as much possible and set aside for another 1.5 hours to 2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 425F/220CGently stretch the dough and make dimple in the dough place halved cherry tomatoes, rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves.
- Bake it in pre-heated oven for 23-30 minutes or until it becomes crisp and golden brown in color.
- Let it cool down and enjoy
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.