Delicious Pasta Primavera with roasted vegetables. Simple pasta dinner with packed with veggies , herbs and spices, no cream or sauce but with bursting flavors.If you are looking for a simple dinner recipe that is ready in less than 25 minutes, then try this Pasta Primavera with roasted vegetables. This is best way to sneak in some veggies while having your favorite pasta. Great as busy weeknight dinner and even leftovers you can use it next day if you have any left. This is not loaded with any cream or sauce of it is full of veggies and pasta.
What is pasta Primavera?
Pasta primavera is an American dish that consists of pasta and fresh vegetables, invented in the 1970s. In Italian, primavera (pree-muh-VEHR-uh) means spring style; with foods, it refers to fresh vegetables. In this low-cal main dish recipe, squash, carrots, red pepper, and broccoli are perfect examples of the Pasta Primavera. You can make it vegan version buy adding olive oil instead of butter also using vegetable stock if you are using stove stop.
How many ways you can make pasta primavera?
- In Stove Top
- a) You can make pasta primavera in a single pot in stove top. Adding pasta then water and then veggies, finally cook them then finish off with butter and parmesan cheese.
- b) you can cook pasta separately and sauté the veggies and then mix everything in.
- Stove Top and Oven.
In this version you need to roast the veggies in the oven. And cook the pasta in stove then mix in everything along with some fresh cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Thus, pasta primavera with roasted veggies.
I personally like this version as caramelized veggies tend to give out more natural flavors.
If you are in hurry and do not want to baby sit you can use
- Instant Pot
First you need to sauté the veggies and set aside. Then cook pasta with stock if you want and pressure cook at manual for 5 minutes. Then bring back everything to Instant Pot and finish it with parmesan cheese.
Veggies used in Pasta primavera
You can make spring pasta primavera with squash, zucchini, carrot, red bell pepper, broccoli and onion.
You can also make a winter veggie version of pasta primavera with butter nut squash, brussels sprouts, carrots, and radish.
Herbs and spices used to make Pasta primavera?
You can use either herb de Provence or Italian seasoning. Or you can make custom blend of herb like what I made, I used thyme, oregano, parsley, dried rosemary, marjoram and cumin with red pepper flakes.
Pasta primavera sauce?
You can make your pasta primavera with a sauce or without it. I made later one.
- If you want a sauce you can make sauce by adding garlic and onions to the skillet and cook until starting they turn translucent in about 2 minutes. Then add broth and wine and then add cream and parmesan and pepper.
- If you are not using sauce, then mix in roasted veggies with pasta, along with cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese.
Can I make Pasta Primavera Vegan?
Yes, you can convert this pasta primavera with roasted veggies to vegan by adding nutritional yeast or using vegan parmesan cheese. You can use vegetable stock also.
Can I make Pasta Primavera in large batches?
Yes, you can make pasta primavera with roasted veggies in large batch. You can use it for dinner and next day lunch or dinner. You can store it in refrigerator
If you like this Pasta recipe here is few other recipes from this blog
Tips to boost the flavors
Instead of adding garlic powder in the herb blend. You can add fresh garlic and roast them along with veggies with it gives out extra garlicky flavor. If you are not much into garlic use garlic powder.
Also add fresh basil or you can add butter fried sage leaves. I did the first one.
You can also add freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Once you made this delicious pasta primavera with roasted vegetables you can enjoy warm.
If you make this recipe, please tag me @nidhinikhil in Instagram and Zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook.
Pasta Primavera with Roasted Vegetables
- 4 carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 20 cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 2 tablespoon of pasta water/ stock
- Pre-heat oven to 425F and line the baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil and set aside.
- Wash and slice the veggies in 2-inch-long slices and place it in baking sheet.
- Also slice thin slices of garlic.
- Add herbs, spices, and salt and olive oil and mix well
- Roast it in a pre-heated oven for 16 -18 minutes.
- In as sauce pot cook the pasta all dente according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Drain the pasta and mix in with roasted veggies, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese mix well if your find the pasta is on dry side add pasta water to make it smooth
- Sprinkle with chopped basil and enjoy
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.