Summer is going to end soon, and before that I need to make a few recipes with summer peaches. Yes, Texas has best sweet summer peaches. I decide to make this Peach upside down cake. Upside down cakes have been in my do list for a long time, however, I am not comfortable with making caramel worried that it is going to break my teeth.
After serious search I found that there is an easy way to making upside down cake. I adapted few recipes and mixed and made this one. I always like to make cakes with fresh fruits, because their marriage is always fruitful. Yes, fruity top with buttery cake layer. Even though pineapple upside down cake is classic, this peach upside down cake is a good one too.
I like to use fresh fruits, but if you want you can use canned ones. Sweet aroma of summer-fresh peaches, nothing can beat it. Peaches, perhaps more than any other fruit, belong purely to summertime. There’s no out-of-season substitute for a truly glorious peach. Among the stone fruits I like are peaches and mangoes. I have interchanged them both in recipes. I like to spice them up with exotic cardamom. It is regarded as the queen of spices and is one of the most expensive spices, ranking third, the first and second being saffron and vanilla, respectively.
Coming to buttery cake base, trust me it is delicious and moist with Greek yogurt, milk and butter. I used square pan, but if you want you can use round pan which makes your cake looking pretty. If you are like me, think about the convenience of serving, then go for square pan as you can get individual slices with two slices of peach on the top.
This is a great cake you can make ahead, even you refrigerate them it will retain it freshness for a couple of days. Next time when you are going for potluck or get together like me, just make this and take along with you. Your friends and family will love it. If you can get fresh peaches then try it now or use canned one for year around.
Peach Cardamom Upside Down Cake
- For base
- 24 1 inch slices of peaches
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- For cake
- ½ cup cubed peaches
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup +2tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- In a 8X 8-inch pan add butter and put it in 350F oven for 5 minutes or until the butter melts completely make sure not to let burn the butter. To this add brown sugar and spread well.
- Then gradually place the peach slices into the butter-sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom and mix well.
- In large bowl add butter and sugar and cream very well then add eggs one at a time and blend very well.
- To this add flour mixture in 3 additions alternating, Greek yogurt, milk and in between flour. Finally ends with flour-mixture.
- Then fold in peaches (cut in cubes) and transfer the batter into baking pan lined with peaches and butter-sugar mixture. Spread evenly then bake it in pre-heat oven to 350F for 35 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Enjoy with or without ice cream.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.