Delicious Cowboy Cookies made chocolate chips,coconut, pecans and Malt-O-Meal®’s Peanut Butter Cups Cereal . This becomes great breakfast cookies
What is cowboy cookies ?
I came to know about the cowboy cookies from a magazine. Story behind is that during the Bush-Gore presidential campaign of 2000, the Family Circle magazine ran cookie recipes from each of the candidates' wives and asked readers to rate it. Laura Bush's cowboy cookies with a twist of a classic chocolate chip cookie with oats, pecans, coconut and cinnamon, beat Tipper Gore's ginger snaps. Thus Cowboy cookies are historically important, so I decide to give it a try with my own twist. I used Malt-O-Meal®’s Peanut Butter Cups cereal.
cowboy cookie is considered the first power bar of the west. The nutritious snack kept well and provided energy for long days in the Old West. Nobody knows for sure if that's where the cookie got its name.
My Peanut Butter Cups Cereal Cowboy Cookies version has chocolate chip, oats, pecans, coconut and Malt-O-Meal peanut butter cups cereal. Peanut Butter Cups has the winning combination of peanut butter and chocolaty flavor. It has crunchy corn puffs with cocoa and peanut butter into an irresistible treat. Best part is that it doesn’t have any high fructose corn syrup and 9 essential vitamins and minerals baked right in, you can indulge anytime! You can grab one packet from your local walmart.
My kids love chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter so whenever I make cookies I will add at least chocolate chips if possible. This time I made Cowboy cookies with my own twist. I used all the ingredients except cinnamon and added Malt-O-Meal®’s Peanut Butter Cups.
These become great breakfast cookies when you add peanut butter cups. I used unsweetened coconut that gives it perfect sweetness. If you want extra sweetness you can use the sweetened coconut. This dough is really versatile you can freeze them or you can refrigerate ahead and make the cookies in the morning if you want it for breakfast or as afternoon snack. These are really filling cookies. This is going to a regular in my house. If you like coconut, pecans, chocolate chips cookies then give it a try. Also you can use this recipe to use up your favorite cereal. But before anything try this recipe with Malt-O-Meal®’s Peanut Butter Cups. It turned out be an irresistible combination.
If you like this Peanut Butter Cups Cereal Cowboy Cookies then here is other cereal cookies you may want to check it out
Peanut Butter Cups Cereal Cowboy Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup peanut butter cups cereal Use any favorite cereal in hand
- In bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and combine everything and set aside.
- In another bowl add sugars, softened butter and egg and cream well. To this add egg and mix well. To this add flour mix, oats, and combine well.
- To this oat-flour-sugar egg mixture add chocolate chips, unsweetened coconut, chopped pecans and ¾ cup peanut butter cups and mix everything well with a wooden spoon so that peanut butter cups won’t get crushed.
- In a parchment lined baking sheet transfer 1 tablespoon of cookie dough and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. If you increase 2 tablespoon cookie dough then you get slightly bigger cookies.
- When you ready to bake pre-heat oven to 350F and slightly press the cookie dough and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until you get crispy edges and slightly chewy in the center.
- If you want a big cookies use 2 tablespoon cookie dough.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.