Delicious plantain cashew bread makes excellent quick bread with ripe plantain, cashew nuts and spices. Excellent breakfast with or without cream cheese.
Plantain Cashew nut Bread
- 2 Plantain riper the best mashed about 1 cup
- 1 cup all purpose flour/ Maida
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream substitute with milk
- 1/4 ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 no of cardamom crushed and powederd
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts chopped coarsely
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar 1/8th teaspoon of cinnamon + 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan with oil and then flour the sides of pan.
- Cut plantains into two pieces and remove the center seeded portion and mash using a fork or potato masher and keep aside.
- In a Ziploc bag crush the cashew nut into coarse pieces using a roller.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, ground clove, ground cinnamon, crushed cardamom and salt. Keep aside.
- In a medium bowl beat egg with sugar and add oil and heavy cream v and mix everything incorporated well.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix everything well.
- Finally fold in mashed banana and add crushed cashew and fold once again gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smoothen the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 5 minutes and remove it and cool in the wire rack for another 1 hour.
Use milk instead of heavy cream, also you can substitute walnut for cashew nut
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.