Delicious prickly pear fruit muffins made with prickly pear juice, melted butter, sugar, lime zest and lime juice and perfumed with cinnamon.
Are you into experimenting new flavors for breakfast muffins, then this is a must try .
This is simple, you only need fresh prickly pear juice not the bottle syrup.
Health Benefits of Prickly Pear?
Other names of Prickly pear fruits are opuntia, nopal fruit, tuna, sabra, Barbary pear, and Indian fig.
The fruit of the Opuntia cactus contains health-boosting nutrients like amino acids, fatty acids, and antioxidants like betalains, polyphenols, and flavonoids.
In traditional medicine, Opuntia engelmannii /Prickly pear fruit used for the treatment of burns, wounds, edema, hyperlipidemia, obesity, and catarrhal gastritis.
Alcoholic extracts known for anti-inflammatory, hypoglycemic, and antiviral purposes
What is the Red Prickly Pear fruit?
Prickly pear fruit comes in different colors, white, green, purple, yellow, red, or even orange.
Red prickly pear fruits are an excellent source of vitamin c, magnesium, and dietary fiber, along with calcium, potassium, zinc, and iron.
Red prickly pear fruits are covered in rough bumps and spines known as glochids.
These sharp spines are tiny, hair-like and difficult to see and found in the areoles or brown spots on the skin.
Inside the fruit, the vibrant magenta flesh is moist with many hard edible brown-black seeds.
These seeds are tough to chew, need to swallowed whole or discarded completely. Ripe, prickly pear fruit is a juicy and aromatic with sweet flavor and has a hint of watermelon or a strawberry .
How to make Prickly Pear Muffins ?
You need following 8 ingredients to make this muffin.
- Flour : Use unbleached all-purpose flour. If you want, you can use a combo or whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: I used two kind of sugar, granulated sugar for the muffin batter and sparkling sugar
- Leavener: baking soda and baking powder
- Lime zest : I used zest of 1 lemon
- Lime juice : 1 small lime juice or ½ lime juice. Lime juice brings out flavor of prickly pear juice.
- Prickly pear juice : You need ½ cup prickly pear juice. ( About 3 fruit juice)
- Melted butter : I used unsalted melted butter. If you are using salted, you need to eliminate salt in the recipe.
- Cinnamon : Only few spices go well with prickly pear and cinnamon is one of them.
- Egg: Use one large egg as it acts as binder. Salt: I used sea-salt you can use favorite salt.
See recipe card for quantities.
Tips to make perfect prickly pear muffins?
Use freshly squeezed juice. For extracting the prickly pear fruit juice check the post in this website for more information.
I have used lime juice and lime zest as it goes well with prickly pear. If you want, you can use lemon juice and lemon zest.
Adding sparkling sugar and lime zest on the top of muffin gives subtle sweetness and crunch
In a bowl add dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and half of lime zest
Wet ingredients egg, melted butter, prickly pear juice, lime juice mix well
Ready for baking
Variations to these muffins?
Addition of lime or lemon juice and its zest enhance the flavor of the prickly pear fruit in the recipe.
If you want to make it vegan, skip egg and melted butter and add oil and any diary free milk.
Spices like cinnamon, all-spice berries go well with muffin.
If you want you can either glaze the muffin with prickly pear juice or you can light frost the muffins. Make sure to add prickly pear juice to it to give nice dark pink color .
Inspite of this prickly pear muffins gives nice dark pink color to batter, baked muffins have only a very light color.
If you like this prickly pear muffins you will love these too.
I made this muffin as part of this month #MuffinMonday.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
- Easy Cinnamon Rolls from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Eggless Nasturtium Greens Sandwich Bread (Tangzhong Method) from Cook with Renu
- Japanese Chocolate Milk Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Japanese Milk Bread Buns from Ambrosia
- Japanese Milk Bread Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pineapple Buns (Bolo Bao) from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Pumpkin Babka from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Tangzhong Kolaches from A Messy Kitchen
- Tangzhong Loaf With Cinnamon Sugar Topping from Sneha’s Recipe
- Tangzhong Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns from Magical Ingredients
- Tangzhong Sourdough Bread from Food Lust People Love
Prickly Pear Muffins Recipe
- 1 ½ cup /195g all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup /150g sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon / 1g salt
- ½ cup Prickly Pear Juice about 3-4 fruit
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 lime Juice
- 1 lime zest
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). line with muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- First wash cut both end of prickly pears, then make a slit in the middle and cut through it.
- Scoop the flesh of prickly pear using spoon or knife. smash with the back of spoon through the strainer and collect Juice.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda ,cinnamon, half of lime zest and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together melted butter, and egg.
- To this add lime juice and prickly pear juice and mix well
- Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. Don’t overmix.
- Divide the batter about 3 tablespoons evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar and rest of lime zest and mix well. Sprinkle the lime zest sugar mixture over the tops of the batter filled cups.
- Bake the muffins 375°F (190.5°C) for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.