Valentine’s Day is today, and I can see lot of heart shaped candies, toys and even balloons all over the store. Today my daughter wrote a valentine card for me told me she loves mom, Mom makes cookies and mom buy candies. In turn I decided to make this turnover for her. She likes raspberry so made this raspberry rose petal jam puff pastry turnovers.
Yes my kids love strawberries and raspberries. I buy them whenever I can; daughter likes to eat it as such. She is asking about raspberry ice cream which I need to make it for her. I bought some treat bags and candies for their class ice cream cups.
Coming back to the recipe, this is inspired from Soframiz cook book, again I changed some steps and ingredients as I don’t have enough time to make dough from scratch, so decide use the puff pastries sheets. Then I don’t have raspberry jam in my hand so skipped that one and only used rose petal jam. I only have a 3 inch heart cookie cutter so can’t make a bigger one. So I ended up making bite size treats. These are cute you can have it as excellent dessert for your valentine party.
In India we have rose petal jam called Gulkand, which is available at the local Indian store, but I am not sure of the quality, and is also very expensive. So I decided to buy it from my favorite Middle Eastern store Phoenicia. My roses have not started flowering this year may be I will try to make this jam at home, once I get lots of roses.
Valentine’s Day means roses and chocolate, this time I skipped chocolate and has gone with rose. These are simple and yet delicious treats that you can make for your little or big valentines. You will see the big smile on their face that is what a cook look forward to. Here is the recipe to make your treat. These are less sweetened ones if you want more sweetness add more rose petal jam or sprinkle some extra sugar on top of turnovers.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all
Raspberry Rose Petal Jam Puff pastry turnovers
- 1 sheet puff pastry I used Pepperidge farm
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoon of rose petal jam if you want more sweetness add 2 tablespoon more
- ½ tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon egg + 1 milk for egg wash
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- While you are thawing the puff pastry in a bowl add raspberries and corn starch and rose petal jam and mix well and set aside for 25 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 400 F.
- Spread the puff pastry into ¼ inch thick sheet and cut out Heart shaped sheet and place ½ tablespoon of filling on the top of one sheet and cover with other sheet and carefully seal the sides.
- Using a fork create a design and make sure to make it thick otherwise while baking you won’t see the design.
- When you are ready to bake, brush the puff pastry cut outs with egg wash and bake it for about 12 minutes or until they become golden brown in color; keep a close watch to prevent any burning.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.