Delicious rava ladoo a simple and traditional Indian sweet made with rava/semolina, ghee, coconut, condensed milk with touch of cardamom.Being a mom of two little ones sometime makes me crazy especially when I make them ready for school. My little guy always wants everything to be done by his mama. He says “mama do”, “papa do” comes rarely. At times it is hard and tiring to do everything from feeding, bathing or helping him in going to potty. Now I realize how much pressure my poor mom has suffered with I and my sister. Thus it is a big pressure release for me to cook and yesterday I felt like making a sweet dish to finish the lunch. Yes dinner happens very late so there is no time for any dessert. For that sweet tooth I made this rava ladoo with condensed milk.
Yes I have made traditional my grandma’s Rava ladoo earlier. Actually this rava ladoo happened accidentally, as I am planning to make something with Ducle de leche and I was in a mindset that the Nestle can which I have in hand is ducle de leche. However I opened it only to realize that it is sweetened condensed milk. So decide to make this rava ladoo with condensed milk. As we know condensed milk can make everything tastier. I followed the recipe same as my rava ladoo, first roast the rava in ghee then coconut is added and finally condensed milk is add along with some cardamom. Once it is cool enough to touch make balls. I didn’t want to add raisins to this recipe, but wanted to add whole cashew. Since I have salted planters cashews in my hand, I skipped the roasting part of cashew.
Difference between this condensed milk rava ladoo and other version is that this one slightly chewy where other one is more powdery while biting on them. Both versions are very nice still I prefer the traditional version. My kids are not that fond of Indian sweets, they like only a few. So both hubby and wife can enjoy most of them. Since he is diabetic he will take everything in very small portion. I am the only enjoying making it and eating it also.
If you are looking for a dessert which cooks under 15 minutes then this is one. I didn’t add any extra sugar; if you want you can do that. I think it is sweet by itself. Here comes the recipe.
Rava Ladoo with condensed milk
- 1 ¼ cup rava/semolina
- ¾ cup+ 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut you can also use freshly grated coconut too
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- One 14 oz can of Sweetened condensed milk
- 4 pods of cardamom
- 18 whole roasted cashews
- First heat the ghee in a skillet or thick bottom pan and
- add rava /semolina roast them for about 6-7 minutes with constant stirring.
- To this add desiccated coconut and fry for 2 minutes
- then add crushed cardamom and
- condensed milk.
- Reduce the flame to low and mix everything until it leaves sides of pan.
- When it is cool enough to touch, make lemon sized balls out it. First make balls and then flatten them and place a cashew in the center
- and wrap it once again.
- It will be nice if you finish them freshly made. If you have left over then store it in refrigerator as it has condensed milk in it.
Pin it for later95
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.