Delicious filling roasted veggies and Orzo salad salad with zucchihi, bellpepper, onion and garlic cloves . With simple dressing We as a family loves and everyone has their own salad favorites, and my daughter prefers only red bell pepper, carrot, apple, and berries in their salad. Son wants only fruits in his salad. I eat all except celery in my salad, hubby who eats everything without any complain. I have bought a packet of orzo for long time which needs to be used up and hence decided to try this roasted veggies and Orzo salad.
I cook with veggies every day, but when it comes to roasting them, I only do it occasionally. I got this recipe from this book which I borrowed from the library. Weight Watchers Family Meals: 250 Recipes for Bringing Family, Friends, and Food Together (Weight Watchers Lifestyle). I liked the recipe even though it requires some preparation. Yes roasting the veggies, cooking orzo and making dressing. But it was worth the effort, and it turned out be a delicious and filling salad. I thought it as side but turned out be filling one. I changed the recipe little bit adding cherry tomatoes instead of olives and skipped oregano.
My mother and grandmother have only roasted whole corn, eggplant, onion and red chilies. I never see them roasting any other veggies. But now I roast everything still occasionally. For this salad I roasted onion, red, green, yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes, zucchinis, garlic cloves. The dressing is so simple only olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and pepper.
I think this recipe is really good you can make ahead. Great for lunch or dinner may be next time I will add little chipotle pepper to spice up you don’t need to do it. As I love spicy food, I think adding little bit of spice will enhance this salad even more. Give it a try, this will be great idea for busy nights as school are beginning to open soon. Let me how it turned out.
Roasted veggies and Orzo salad
- 1/3 cup orzo cooked according to package instruction
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup yellow pepper
- 1 cup zucchini chopped ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup onion
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Juice of one lemon
- Lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro /Parsley chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 9 cherry tomatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 452F Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a bowl add olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black peppers and then add colored peppers and onion and mix well and spread evenly in the prepared baking sheet. And roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add zucchini and cheery tomatoes on top of roasted vegetables and roast for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook orzo according to package instructions, drain in colander and rinse briefly under water and set aside.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.