Delicious Salt Biscuits/ Cookies akka melt in mouth salted shortbread cookies goes well with cup of tea or coffee.
Salt Biscuits/ Cookies
- 125 g Margarine/butter combo 4 ½ tablespoon vegetable shortening and 4 ½ tablespoon butter
- 250 g / 1 ¾ cup All purpose flour/ Maida
- 6.25 g / 2 ½ teaspoon Custard powder I used Vanilla flavored Custard Powder
- 6.25 g/ 1 ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 6.25 g/4 teaspoon Milk powder
- 62.5 g/ ⅓ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda Use 6.25g of baker’s ammonia if you have in your hand
- 50 ml/ 5 tablespoon Water
- ¼ th of Large Egg
- In a bowl of kitchenaid stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment cream shortening, butter and sugar .Then add egg and mix everything well and set aside.
- In a bowl sift flour, salt, custard powder, milk powder and baking powder and this flour mixture to egg –shortening and butter mixture and water to form smooth dough.
- If you want you can freeze the dough at this point. When you are ready to bake bring it back to room temperature and bake.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Transfer the dough onto lightly floured surface, spread it into ¼ inch thick sheet, prick all over the dough surface with fork (if you have fancy device in your collection use it now). Cut it into thin rounds with a 2 ¼ inch biscuit cutter. Cookies should be thinner than Osmania biscuits.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until it become golden brown in color.
- Enjoy with Irani chai or any tea with milk.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.