Soft chocolate chip cookies made with instant pudding mix and chocolate chips and sprinkles.
Are you looking for a soft chocolate chip cookie, then your search is over! Here are the delicious and easy soft chocolate chip cookies perfect every time.
Softness of cookies depends on a lot of factors however one secret ingredient can make it softer cookies which is instant pudding.
History behind Instant pudding ?
Instant pudding was invented in 1837 and is made with egg-free custard powder using flavored cornstarch. My-T-Fine produced the earliest packaged pudding in the United States in 1918. However, all these puddings required cooking on the stove. The instant version came along in the mid-1940s. Do you know Instant vanilla pudding day is celebrated on May 22?
What are the tips you need to make the soft cookies?
1) Add more flour to the cookie dough which make stiffer cookie dough . This makes the dough spread less and makes cookies thicker and makes softer cookies.
2) Addition of Instant pudding mix can make cookies softer.
3) If you use brown sugar instead of white sugar, can make the cookies softer
4) Using less protein flours like cake flour can make the cookies softer
5) Bake the cookies slightly softer not too much browning on the sides.
Earlier I have tried adding cornstarch for my on-the-go chocolate chip cookie recipe, which make it chewier and delicious .
But if you want a softer chocolate cookie, the instant pudding mix is best. You need to use powder one. Not the ready to eat pudding .
How to make soft chocolate chip cookies ?
You need to following ingredients to make this soft chocolate chip cookies
All purpose flour: I used unbleached all-purpose flour.
Butter: use unsalted butter, it should be softened at room temperature
Brown sugar and granulated sugar: You need to use more brown sugar than granulated sugar for the moist cookies
Baking powder and baking soda: You need both leavener to make the cookies.
Egg: I used large egg.
Instant pudding mix: Use instant vanilla pudding mix if you are using it for chocolate chip cookies, you can use different flavors depending upon which cookies you are making.
Chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips you can use your favorite chocolate chips
Sprinkles: I have used little red, white, and blue sprinkle you can use it if you want.
Variation of this soft chocolate chip cookies
If you want, you can skip sprinkles and add your favorite nuts to make it chocolate chips and nut cookies.
If you are using butterscotch pudding mix, then add butterscotch chips to make it a butterscotch cookie.
You can also add chocolate pudding mix to make it chocolate cookies with addition of coca powder.
You can add some pistachio nuts along with pistachio instant pudding and make it into a pistachio cookie.
If you try this recipe, please tag me in Instagram @nidhinikhil or zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook. I would love to see your creations.
If you like this cookie here are few other variations of chocolate chips cookies you may like it.
Soft chocolate chip cookies
- 1 cup + 2.5 tablespoon /153.5g all-purpose flour
- Half of 3.4 oz/ 48g Vanilla instant pudding
- ½ cup /113g unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon /3.5g baking soda
- ½ teaspoon/ 2 g baking powder
- 2 tablespoon/30g granulated sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon /80 g firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon/2g vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup sprinkles I used red, blue, and white
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and instant vanilla pudding mix and mix well and set aside.
- In large bowl add both brown and granulated sugars, egg , vanilla extract and mix well .
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until combined. Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon dough and transferred to prepared baking sheet. Place rest of chocolate chips and sprinkles
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the sides becomes golden brown and center remains soft. Let cool slightly before serving.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.