Delicious sourdough aloo paratha wholewheat flatbread with spicy potato filling. Wholesome meal of any time.
What is a Paratha?
Paratha is typically a non-leavened flatbread that is thicker than the Roti or chapathai. Paratha can either stuffed with veggies or cheese or as plain ones without any filling. When plain , the dough is folded into layers with oil or/ ghee/butter in between.
Traditional aloo paratha is a non-leavened flatbread. Traditionally ,Indian flatbread is not leavened with yeast or any other leaveners. However there are exceptions, and they are Khamiri roti, Sheermal, Naan and Czot/Girda/Roti made with yeast.
Parathas are filling dish you can have them as a breakfast dish or as a tea-time (tiffin) snack. Normally paratha made of finely ground whole wheat flour (atta) or other wholemeal flour. It is shallow fried in ghee or oil to extra boost of taste.
The most common stuffing for paratha are mashed and spiced potatoes and it is called (aloo ka parantha) . There is a version that is stuffed with lentils, and another one that is stuffed with radishes called mooli ka paratha. A paratha made with cauliflower is called gobi ka paratha and the one with paneer is called paneer ka paratha.
Paratha can be eaten simply with a butter spread on top or with chutney, pickles, ketchup, yogurt or a raita or with meat or vegetable curries.
How to make Sourdough aloo paratha ?
You need following ingredients to make this sourdough aloo ka paratha.
Sourdough starter/ discard : You can use discard as you are not going to proof here. If you don’t have one your hand try to make it your own with this recipe.
Whole wheat flour : For best rest results you need to use Indian Whole wheat flour/Atta. If you can’t find them then use white whole wheat flour.
Salt : You need to add salt divided as both dough and filling needs salt.
Water : You need to make soft but stiff dough so that it can hold filling.
Filling : Boiled and grated potato.
Spices : Cumin powder, fennel seeds, garam masala and amchur powder
Ginger and green chilies : This adds spiciness to the filling.
Ghee: Adds extra taste boost, so don’t skip on this. If you are vegan use any of your favorite oil.
Ingredients for making outer covering wholewheat flour dough.
Wholewheat dough stuffed with potato filling
Spread it into 6 inch disc
Points to remember while making sourdough aloo paratha?
You can use any kind of starter, whole wheat flour is best, all purpose or any other flour starter will work here.
Always try to make soft but stiff dough
Potatoes needs to be cooked until it is fork tender. Then it is peeled, and either mashed or grated before making it into filling. Grated potato gives better texture to Sourdough aloo paratha.
Spices you cand adjust still, cumin, coriander powder and gram masala are must.
Keep in mind to seal dough tightly with filling also press them gently so that stuffing will not leak out.
Make sure to cook the sourdough aloo paratha in medium high flame for uniform cooking. When paratha is cooked well on onside, flip and cook the other side also for complete cooking .
Add ghee in both sides to make your sourdough paratha extra tasty.
I made this aloo paratha as part of #breadbakers this month event. Spiced savory bread.#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
This month’s event is Bread Bakers Event for Spiced Savory Breads and our host is Renu of Cook with Renu.
- Cheddar Smoked Paprika Soda Bread by Food Lust People Love
- Copy Cat Domino’s Zingy Paneer Parcel by Sneha’s Recipe
- Everything Bagel Biscuits by Palatable Pastime
- Flourless Quinoa Vegetable Muffins by Cook with Renu
- Rosemary, Sage, and Wild Rice Levain by A Messy Kitchen
- Spicy Onion Buns by Ambrosia
- Spiced Up Potato, Turmeric, and Oat Bread by Magical Ingredients
- Sourdough Focaccia with Italian Herbs and Spices by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sourdough Aloo Paratha by Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Swedish Rye Bread (Limpa) by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Sourdough Aloo Paratha : Potato Stuffed wholewheat flatbread
For the dough
- 2 cup 260g whole wheat flour + ¼ cup extra for rolling
- ½ cup 100g Sourdough starter 100% Hydration of Whole wheat starter
- ½ teaspoon 2g salt
- ½ cup+ 3 tablespoon 175.5g water *
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds ajwain
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 2 large potatoes 306g , boiled and grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 2 no green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro/ coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon amchur powder
- ¼ cup Ghee for cooking
- Butter for garnish
- Using an instant pot, cooks, and potato for 25 minutes in manual pressure and once it is cooled peel the skin.
- Then grate the potato and then add spices, green chili, ginger chopped, salt, and cilantro leaves and mix well to form a smooth dough.
- Then divide the dough into 10 equal sized balls and set aside.
Wholewheat flour dough
- In a bowl add sourdough starter and three- fourth of water and mix well to this add flour, salt ghee and rest water, and combine well to form a dough.
- Set aside for 15-20 minutes. To this add 2 teaspoon of oil and mix once again
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll them into round ball. Dump it into a bowl with ¼ cup flour you kept aside for rolling.
Assembly and cooking the paratha.
- First with whole wheat dough balls make thick flat disc of about 3 inch and then place potato filling ball in the center and cover the potato filling with whole dough so it gets covered fully .
- Then again flatten into a 6-inch disc with roller using whole wheat flour liberally to prevent them from sticking.
- Heat skillet and transfer the spread dough into skillet carefully. Cook the one side until you see bubbles on the top, brush with ghee
- Flip the other side and cook for another minute. When paratha is cooked you will see brown spots all over. Brush them with ghee on both sides once again.
- Continue to make the paratha until you finish the entire dough. You will be able to make 10 parathas from this recipe.
- Serve them with spicy pickle or curry or your choice. Served with cauliflower curry
- If you need adjust the water content you need a soft stif dough for the covering.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.