Delicious Sourdough Banana Nut Crunch Muffins made with goodness of banana, pecans, oatmeal. Moist and topped with a deliciously sweet & crunchy pecan streusel!
If you are a fan of banana bread or muffins with banana then you will love this Sourdough Banana Nut Crunch Muffins. Sourdough starter adds extra moistness to the muffins along with banana. Topping adds extra crunch from both pecans and oatmeal.
How to make Sourdough Banana Nut Crunch Muffins?
Looking for an excellent breakfast banana bread muffin then try this one, you need following ingredients to make this.
Sourdough starter: If you have one in hand use that if not try to make one, check here for how to start a sourdough starter. Make sure to use the one after its peak of activity.
All Purpose Flour: I used unbleached all-purpose flour. You can use a combo of all -purpose flour and whole wheat flour or entirely with whole wheat flour
Baking powder and baking soda: You need two leavener in this recipe as it required to give lift to muffin with oatmeal and pecans which make the batter heavier.
Eggs: Adds extra lift and act as binder.
Sugar: you need both granulated sugar and brown sugar. Granulated sugar in the muffin batter and brown sugar in the nut crunch toppings.
Cinnamon and Vanilla extract: Cinnamon and Vanilla extract goes well with banana. They are must ingredients in a banana bread as they add a depth of flavor that makes cakes and things so fragrant and flavorful.
Rolled Oats: Since it is breakfast muffins, I have added Rolled Oats in the muffins. Adding Oats in Banana muffins gives extra boost of fiber and protein to the dish.
Pecans: I used pecans in both batter and as well as in topping. If you want, you can skip adding to the batter and use just in the topping.
Butter. Melted butter in the batter and softened butter for the toppings.
If you are looking for variations to this Sourdough Banana Nut Crunch Muffins.
1) You can use your favorite nuts like walnuts, pistachios instead of the Pecans. Make sure to toast the nuts for maximum flavor.
2) if you do not have sourdough starter in hand, just skip that and add extra 2-3 tablespoons of milk
3) If you want an eggless version of this muffin, substitute egg with ½ cup Greek yogurt or apple sauce.
Here are few other muffins you can try with sourdough starter
I have made this Banana nut crunch muffins as part of #muffinmonday
- Lemon Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Papaya Orange Muffins from Magical Ingredients
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins from Making Miracles
- Sourdough Banana Nut Crunch Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Springtime Chocolate Chip Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- White Chocolate Muffins with a Pistachio Glaze from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Sourdough Banana Nut Crunch Muffins
- 1 ½ cups 181g All-purpose flour
- ½ cup 48g Rolled oats
- ⅔ cup 134 g Sugar
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon 5g baking powder
- 1 teaspoon 3g baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup 50g Sourdough Starter
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped pecans toasted
For Nut crunch topping
- ⅓ cup 66g brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoon 17g all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon 11g room butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Rolled oats
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans toasted
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line muffin tin with 12 paper liner or grease the pan really well with butter .
- In a medium bowl mash 3 banana with fork and set aside.
- Toast the Pecans in Baking sheet at 375 F for 5-8 min. Watch carefully after 5 minutes to prevent any burning of nuts.
For Nut Crunch Topping
- In a small bowl add brown sugar, cinnamon, rolled oats, all-purpose flour and butter and incorporate well. To this chopped pecan and mix well and set aside.
For Muffin Batter
- In a bowl mix all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ½ cup rolled oats.
- In large bowl add sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract and mix well
- To this add sourdough starter and mix well
- To this add mashed banana and incorporate once again.
- To this add all purpose-oatmeal mix and combine well. Make sure not to over mix the batter. If you see some dry bits that is okay.
- Finally fold in chopped pecans.
- Transfer the batter to prepared muffin tin. And top with nut crunch topping.
- Bake it in pre-heated oven at 375 °F for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Cool the muffin completely in the wire rack.
- Then enjoy with your favorite coffee.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.