If you are a fan of fudge brownie and love to eat a brownie for breakfast, then try this sourdough brownie muffins. Perfect of both worlds.
What are brownie muffins?
They are cross between brownie and muffins; it has crackly top and a gooey chocolate center. Chocolatey flavor is from both cocoa powder and chocolate chips, and if you want you can even add melted chocolate to make it more chocolate dessert.
Addition of sourdough starter increases not only flavor but also make it moist without an extra egg.
Why cocoa powder in Sourdough brownie muffins?
In general, cocoa brownies tend to stay softer than chocolate brownies. They will not feel dry or crumbly, even if you prefer like me, to eat them straight from the fridge.
As Cocoa powder contains very little cocoa butter, additional butter must be added to cocoa brownies to compensate. Addition of butter which is much softer than cocoa butter at room temperature (just think of the texture of a chocolate bar versus the texture of a stick of butter), makes the cocoa brownies to stay tender and velvety.
In these muffins due to cocoa powder, they tend to stay moist and soft without any melted chocolate. If you want, you can add melted chocolate but do not skip cocoa powder.
Ingredients to make Sourdough brownie muffins
Sourdough starter/ Discard : I used white flour 100% hydration sourdough starter you can use any sourdough starter /discard here.
All-purpose flour : I used unbleached all-purpose flour.
Cocoa powder : Here I used Natural Unsweetened Cocoa.
Semi sweet- Chocolate chips: If you like you can add bitter chocolate chips too here.
Eggs : Eggs not only function as binder but also gives rise to the dough.
Unsalted butter : Melted unsalted butter is in the recipe.
Sugar : Both brown and granulated sugar is in the recipe, you can use granulated sugar alone if you want more sweetness.
Vanilla extract goes well with chocolate.
Salt : Brings out flavor in the muffins
Baking powder : To ensure the rise to the muffins.
See recipe card for quantities.
First make dry ingredients
All purpose flour
Batter ready for baking
Transfer to muffin tins and bake.
You can use bittersweet chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Addition of little, coffee, cinnamon will bring out more chocolatey flavor.
If you are adding melted chocolate use less ¼ cup.
To make it eggless and vegan, use apple sauce and vegan butter.
How to store these muffins?
These muffins stay fresh for 2-3 days in air-tight container.
For long time store, freeze them individually wrap in freeze-safe container.
To reheat : Allow the muffins to thaw if frozen and place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on high.
Use 350°F/ 177°C to bake this muffin. Do not use any higher temperature.
Dough will be thick do not worry it will fine after baking.
About ⅔rd full muffin tin to get enough rise to the muffin.
Do not over mix the dough. If you are using brown sugar, make sure to press tightly while sifting the flour.
Also make sure not to over bake the brownie muffins. They are ready within 18-20 minutes.
Easily double or triple depending upon your requirements.
Few other sourdough chocolate muffins
- 4 Ingredient, Small Batch, Nutella Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Crawfish Cornbread Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- S’mores Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Mango Banana Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Sourdough Brownie Muffins
- ¾ cup 98g All purpose flour
- ½ cup 100g sourdough starter ( 100% hydration : all white flour starter )
- ⅓ cup 40g cocoa powder
- ½ cup 113g unsalted butter (Melted)
- ¼ cup 50g granulated sugar
- ¼ cup 50g brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup 85g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F /177°C and line 7 liner in muffin tin.
- In a large bowl sift, flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugars, and baking powder.
- In a small bowl combine melted cooled butter and egg well. Then incorporate vanilla extract and set aside.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to into dry ingredients and mix well, to this add sourdough starter/discard and mix well.
- Finally fold in chocolate chips( reserve 2 tablespoon for sprinkling for the top) . Then using as ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup add muffin batter to prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake in pre-heat oven for 18- 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.