This sourdough chocolate cardamom bread has everything you need, yes, it has semi-sweet chocolate chunks, coconut, and floral cardamom.
What is a green Cardamom ?
Green cardamom has an intense flavor that works well in both sweet and savory dishes. Green cardamoms are harvested before they reach maturity, while black cardamoms are dried over a fire pit.
Cardamom has a warm, slightly sweet, and spicy flavor with hints of citrus and mint. It has a strong, pleasant aroma that can be describe as floral and herbal.
Cardamom is widely used in various cuisines around the world, particularly in Indian, Middle Eastern, and Scandinavian cooking. It is a common ingredient in both sweet and savory dishes, including curries, rice dishes, baked goods, desserts, and beverages like tea and coffee.
For the most flavor, make sure to break open the cardamom pods and crush the seeds using a mortar or pestle or the handle of a wooden spoon. The pe-made one will lose the intensity over the time.
- What is a green Cardamom ?
- How to make this Sourdough chocolate cardamom bread
- Ingredients to make Sourdough Chocolate Cardamom Bread?
- Instructions to make Sourdough Chocolate Cardamom Bread
- Taste of the Sourdough chocolate cardamom bread ?
- Top tip
- BAKER’S % FORMULA
- Sourdough Chocolate Cardamom Bread
Health benefits of this spice includes reduction of inflammation in the body and lower blood pressure.
Cardamom contains a flavonoid named quercetin which lowers anxiety and depression according to some studies.
cardamom is also used in perfumes, soaps, and other cosmetic products . It is also consider in traditional Ayurvedic and herbal remedies.
Here are a recipes with cardamom . Sourdough Fig Bread with cardamom and nigella seeds , Cardamom spritz cookies, Rose Cardamom Shortbread cookies Peach cardamom Up-side down cake
How to make this Sourdough chocolate cardamom bread
To make this sourdough bread, you need an active sourdough starter or levain. One your starter or leavain is ready you can start making this bread.
First autolyse the flour and then incorporate starter into the dough and starter.
Around half of the bulk fermentation laminates the dough . That time incorporate chocolate chunks, coconut, and cardamom.
After that shape the sourdough bread and refrigerate overnight for a second proofing.
Next morning, score and bake the bread.
Ingredients to make Sourdough Chocolate Cardamom Bread?
You need following ingredients to make this sourdough chocolate cardamom bread .
- Bread flour: You can use any bread flour.
- Whole Wheat flour : I used whole wheat flour you can use white whole wheat flour.
- Spelt flour: I used organic spelt flour .
- Sourdough starter: I used bread flour: rye flour 70-20% sourdough starter combo. If you don’t have one in hand, make one use this recipe.
- Salt: Will add flavor to the dough and it controls the rate of fermentation well.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks: Semi-sweet chocolate chunks.
- Coconut : In the recipe usedesiccated unsweetened coconut. You can use sweetened coconut if you want.
- Cardamom : I used green cardamom.
- See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions to make Sourdough Chocolate Cardamom Bread
First autolyse all flour, bread flour, whole wheat flour and rye flour along with water.
Add sourdough starter to the autolyzed flour and after 30 minutes add salt. Do stretches and fold, keep for 1 hour and then do another stretch and fold.
Laminate the dough and incorporate chocolate chunks, coconut, and cardamom. Refrigerate overnight and the next morning score and bake the dough
Dough ready for lamination
Incorporate chocolate chunks, coconut and cardamom
Scored and ready to bake
Substitute chocolate chunks with chocolate chips you can use bitter-sweet chocolate chunks in that case you need to add sweetned coconut and ¾ teaspoon of cardamom. As bitter sweet chocolate tend to mask the cardamom.
If you are not fan of cardamom try to use cinnamon in that place.
Taste of the Sourdough chocolate cardamom bread ?
This bread makes an excellent breakfast or brunch bread. With the sweetness of chocolate as well as nuttiness of coconut and aromatic cardamom. You can enjoy it as it is, toasted bread tastes more
I have used artisan bread flour which has protein content of 13-14% if you are using regular bread flour you can reduce the hydration amount.
Can I use chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks for this recipe. Yes you can use chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks.
BAKER’S % FORMULA
|Artisan bread flour
|Whole Wheat flour
|Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
6.30 PM: Mix the flour (bread flour , whole wheat flour and spelt flour ) water and set aside.
7.00 PM: Mix the starter into bread , whole wheat + rye flour mix.
7.30 PM: Mix the salt.
8.00 PM: Stretch and fold the dough.
9.00 PM. Do a second stretch and fold the dough!
9..30 PM: Laminate the dough and incorporate coconut, chocolate chunks and cardamom.
10.30 PM: Then shape dough and refrigerator overnight.
7. 00 AM: Score and bake the bread.
I made this bread as part of Bread with spices “ Bread Baker event” hosted by Zesty South Indian Kitchen.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Sourdough Chocolate Cardamom Bread
- 2 ¼ cup 350 g Bread flour
- ⅓ cup /50g Spelt flour
- ¾ cup / 100g Whole wheat flour
- 1 ¾ cup /400 g Water
- 1 ¾ teaspoon / 10g Salt
- ½ cup / 100 g Sourdough starter
- ¾ cup / 110g chocolate chunks
- ½ cup /30g Desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon / about 10 pods of green cardamom
- First make active sourdough starter
- Make Dough
- In a bowl, add bread flour , spelt and whole wheat flour flour and add the rest of water and mix well and autolyse 30 minutes.
- Then Incorporate the sourdough starter with flour.
- Mix starter with the flour mix and mix with hand. Knead for 1-2 minutes until well combined. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Then after 30 minutes add salt. Mix well and cover the dough again and set aside.
- Stretch and fold.
- Then stretch and fold the dough every 1 hour for 2 hours. This means grabbing the underside of the dough and stretching it up and over the rest of the dough. Perform a few of these turns each time you handle the dough.
- Laminate the dough.
- Incorporate chocolate chunks, coconut, and cardamom during the lamination of the dough.
- Shaping the dough
- After one hour , transfer the dough to a lightly floured workspace and shape it into round Boule. Fold the third of the dough closest to you inward, and then stretch the dough out to the sides. Fold the right, and then the left side toward the center. Fold the top of the dough inward, and then wrap the bottom part of the dough over it all. If you want, you can make pre-shape and set aside for 15 minutes and then make a final shape.
- Work this into a round shape, and place seam side up in a proofing basket lined well with flour.
- Cold proof
- After transferring to Banneton, Let rise the dough overnight in the refrigerator. You can keep this cold retard up to 14 hours.
- Score and Bake
- When you are ready to bake preheat oven to 475°F.
- Remove the dough from the proofing basket and score and transfer to Dutch oven and close the lid and immediately place the top back on and return to the oven.
- Turn the heat down to 450°F and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove the top of the Dutch oven and rotate the pan. Continue to bake the bread for another 35 minutes, until the crust is deeply caramelized.
- If you want crackling crust after switching off the oven keep oven door ajar and keep the bread inside.
- once bread comes out of oven cool completely in the wire rack and cut it into slice and enjoy with some butter
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.