Sourdough chocolate chip cookie bar is like having two worlds in one, yes cookies and bars. They are soft and chocolatey goodness with notes of brown sugar, vanilla, and touch of sourdough.
Sourdough makes the cookie bars softer. More like chewy bar than a crispy one.
Little bit history behind Chocolate chip cookie bars?
First chocolate chip cookie came as dessert in late 1930s by Ruth Wakefield who famously ran the Toll House restaurant in Whitman, Massachusetts. It is a delicious mix of crispy cookie and melted chocolate chunks and first appeared in 1938 cookbook “Tried and True,” . It was made to eat along with ice cream.
Then came Cookie Bars and Squares Sweet, Easy and Popular according to Norah Cherry, Winnipeg Free Press, February 5, 1962 (p. 13)
HOW TO MAKE SOURDOUGH CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
You need the following ingredients to make this
Sourdough starter : It is better to use (100% hydration) white flour sourdough starter, even one with bread flour will be incredibly good as it tends to increase the chewiness of the cookie bars
Flour : I used all-purpose flour in this recipe, but you can use a combo of all-purpose flour and bread flour that will give more chewiness to cookie bar.
Baking soda : The leavener in this recipe is baking soda.
Sugar: You need both granulated sugar and brown sugar to make cookie bars.
Butter: Melted butter works better than soften one here
Vanilla extract : This is only flavoring used in this recipe .
Eggs : One large egg is enough. If you want, you can add an extra yolk too.
Chocolate chips : I used semi-sweet chocolate chips . You can use bittersweet chocolate chips if you want less sweet sourdough chocolate chips cookie bars.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I HAVE RYE STARTER OR WHOLE MEAL STARTER IN HAND, CAN I USE THAT?
Yes, you can use rye starter or any whole meal starter for this recipe, only thing it will have some nutty bites to it.
CAN I MAKE VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE?
Yes, you can make variations by adding your favorite nuts like pecans and walnuts . Also add chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips. If you have flaky salt in hand, sprinkle that on the top. You can add instant coffee powder to make Mocha Sourdough chocolate chip cookie bars. If you want blondie flavor to add some butterscotch Morsels. You can add spices like cinnamon as chocolate and cinnamon goes well together.
HOW LONG DO THEY LAST?
You can store this sourdough chocolate chips cookie bar in an airtight container and will keep for about 3 days at room temp. You can wrap the baked but uncut bars and freeze for up to 3 months.
HOW DO YOU KEEP THEM SOFT?
If you keep outside without covering it can lose all their moisture. So, transfer them into an airtight container as soon they are cooled .
If you tried this recipe please tag me @nidhinikhil on instagram or @zestysouthindiankitchen at Facebook .
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!
Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 2¼ cup /280g all-purpose flour
- ½ cup /113g unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup/ 100g Sourdough Starter
- 1 teaspoon /7g baking soda
- ¼ cup/50g granulated sugar
- 1 cup /188g firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon/8g vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 11x 7-inch pan (you can use 9×9 inch pan too) with parchment paper and set aside
- In a medium bowl add flour, salt and baking soda and mix well and set aside.
- In large bowl add both brown and granulated sugars, egg , melted butter, vanilla extract and mix well .
- To this add sourdough starter and mix well
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until combined. Stir in chocolate chips Transfer to prepared pan, spreading to edges of pan.
- Bake for 26-28 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.