Delicious Sourdough Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins made with cinnamon, sourdough starter and buttermilk with touch of cinnamon sugar streusel topping.
If you are fan of cinnamon rolls or cinnamon bread, then you will like this Cinnamon buttermilk muffins too.
It is easy to put together. The amount of cinnamon can be adjusted according to your tastebuds. If you are cinnamon lover, go up in cinnamon flavor with touch of cinnamon extract too.
What is cinnamon ?
Cinnamon one the popular spices in the world. It is also an everyday spice, that you can use sprinkled over latte ,or layered with sugar in cinnamon roll breakfast.
It is hard to think about a Thanksgiving or Christmas dish without cinnamon.
Health Benefits of cinnamon?
It is the inner bark of a tropical evergreen plant; cinnamon has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat respiratory and digestive problems for centuries in India.
Ancient Egyptians used cinnamon as a perfume during embalming process, while Romans used it in funeral pyres to mask the stench of burning flesh.
According to mayo clinic, cinnamon supplements are considerd to be safer at least for short-term use.However, high doses may cause problems for people who have liver disease. It known to help people who are diabetic however there no conclusive studies have been done on this subject.
In one study , they have found that 3 to 6 grams of cinnamon consumption can positively affect certain blood parameters and also beneficial for people to consume cinnamon regularly.
How to make Sourdough Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins?
Sourdough starter: It can be discard /left over of your bread baking. It adds moistness to the muffin. I used all-purpose flour starter/discard. You can use anything available in your hand.
Cinnamon : Use best quality cinnamon. I used 2 ½ teaspoon in the batter and ½ teaspoon for sprinkling. I think you can go up to 3 teaspoon in batter.
Buttermilk: If you have buttermilk in hand use that otherwise, make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice/ vinegar in 1 cup and make up the remaining amount with milk and set it aside for 10 minutes.
Flour : I used unbleached all-purpose flour
Egg: 2 large eggs
Sugar : I used granulated sugar and turbinado sugar.
Leavening agents : baking powder and baking soda is used for leavening and makes muffin fluffier and soft.
Tips for getting perfect muffins.
Make sure mix less maximum up to 10-12 strokes with wooden spoon or beater. Golden rule of muffins is not to overmix. It can affect the texture of the muffins, causing them to toughen and/or have large holes.
You don’t need to use any mixer for these muffins.
Fill the muffin tin or paper liner to about two-thirds to three-fourths full.
Always place your muffin tins on the center rack of the oven for even heating.
Baking in the center ensures always ensures consistent temperature.
If you are looking for characteristic dome shape for the muffins then you need to bake muffins at 425°F for first 5 minutes .
Then reduce the temperature to 350°F and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted it comes out clean.
Do you like other cinnamon recipes?
- Dutch Apple Pie Muffins from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Maraschino Cherry Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mini Peanut Butter Cup Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Pizza Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Small Batch Zucchini Blueberry Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sourdough Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Vegan Jackfruit Muffins from Magical Ingredients
Sourdough Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins
- 2 cup 260g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup /200g sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ½ teaspoon / 6g cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon / 2g salt
- ¾ cup / 179g buttermilk
- ⅓ cup / 77g Sourdough starter discard
- ½ cup /76g vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar ( 1 tablespoon granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon Turbinado sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). line with muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together the milk, vegetable oil, and eggs.
- Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- To this add sourdough discard or starter and stir just until combined – don’t overmix.
- Divide the batter about 3 tablespoon evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar , 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the tops of the batter filled cups.
- Bake the muffins 425°F (218°C) for 5 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for about 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.