Delicious Sourdough Gingerbread Muffins made with gingerbread spice, sourdough starter, molasses and touch of fresh ginger.
Holidays are here and that means Gingerbread is here too. This year is very crazy but we still need to keep our hopes alive and move forward. I started my holiday baking with this Sourdough Gingerbread Muffins. These are not only delicious but also perfect with cup of milk. Marriage between spices, sourdough, and molasses is perfect. Just sweetened enough, you can have them dusted with little confectionery sugar or glaze or as such.
How to make Sourdough Gingerbread Muffins?
As with any gingerbread recipe you need the following ingredients with a few extra adds on particular to this recipe
1) Flour: you can use all-purpose flour alone or in combo with whole wheat.
2) Molasses: Without molasses it is hard to imagine a gingerbread. I used original non-sculptured molasses, but you can use your favorite, if you are planning to use treacle use dark treacle.
3) Brown sugar: Use dark brown sugar as it imparts dark brown color
This is just sweet gingerbread muffins, if you are looking for sweeter one, then try to add 2-3 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
4) Gingerbread spices: I used gingerbread spice mix along with extra addition of cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cloves. If you want you can increase the amount of gingerbread spice mix then skip the cinnamon, ground, ginger, and ground cloves.
5) Baking soda: It is the only leavener used in this recipe.
6) Eggs: Eggs used in the recipe gives lift as well as act as binder
7) Sour cream: Adds extra moistness, makes baked goods moister than if you used milk.
8) Extra add on to make this Gingerbread muffin is addition of sourdough starter you can use one which after it peak of activity. I used 50:50 all-purpose and whole wheat flour 100% hydration starter, you can use whatever you have in your hand.
9) Salt: Brings out the sweetness in the recipe.
10) Butter: Use melted butter instead of creaming of butter.
11) Fresh ginger: This is to bring extra gingery zing to the muffins. It gives more flavor and taste than just using ground ginger.
How to get perfect sourdough gingerbread muffins?
1) Make sure to sift the flour, salt, baking soda and spices together to ensure uniform mixing
2) Always start baking the muffin in high heat to get classic dome shape. Then reduce and continue to bake until done
3) Only dust confectioners’ sugar or glazing after the muffin is at room temperature, otherwise it will make a sticky mess.
I made this sourdough gingerbread muffins as part of #MuffinMonday. If you make this recipe, please tag me @nidhinikhil in Instagram or @zestysouthindianktichen in Facebook.
Do you like this Gingerbread Muffins and looking for other Sourdough Muffin recipes, then check here
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- Banana Nutella Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cranberry Orange Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dutch Apple Pie Muffins from Making Miracles
- Olive Oil Gingerbread Muffins from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sourdough Gingerbread Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Sugarplum Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Winter Crunch Grape Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Sourdough Gingerbread Muffins
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick or 57.5g unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup 89g dark molasses*
- 1 cup 130g all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- ¾ teaspoon gingerbread spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup 50g packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/4 cup 60g sour cream, at room temperature
- ¼ cup 50g Sourdough Starter
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). line with muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in microwave with 5 minutes interval.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and gingerbread spice mix together.
- In a large bowl, add butter, egg, molasses, brown sugar, sour cream, fresh ginger and sourdough starter until all wet ingredients are combined. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until *just* combined. Do not over-mix. Batter will be thick and a little lumpy.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin pan, filling all the way to the top. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for 10 minutes until the tops are cracked and centers are set and tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins then dust with confectioner’s sugar if you want you can glaze them with simple lemony glazing.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.