Delicious sourdough holiday dinner roll wreath, easy to put together with simple ingredients.” width=”1024″ height=”1164″>Are you ready for Santa? My kids are, we went to take a picture with Santa yesterday. They even carried list of gifts they want from him. I just finished Christmas Shopping, next is cooking. I haven’t planned the Christmas Menu yet. But made this Sourdough holiday dinner roll wreath. These are great addition to your holiday dinner table. This is basically a dinner rolls shaped in form of Wreath and made with Sourdough. This Sourdough Holiday Dinner Roll Wreath will be great addition to Holiday dinner table.
How to make Sourdough Dinner Roll wreath?
You need plan two day for making this dinner rolls. First day make the roll dough and second day bake. First in the morning make leaven and then dough by afternoon. By late evening dough will be ready for shaping. You need to keep in mind following steps to make beautiful wreath of dinner rolls which is going to be star of dinner table.
For rolls that are uniform in size, use a digital scale. Weigh all the dough together, divide that number by how many rolls you need, and then use the scale to make all the rolls that size.
” width=”1000″ height=”1000″>
To get a perfect circle, trace around an 9-inch cake pan onto a sheet of parchment paper. Then flip the parchment over so the pencil marks are underneath but the circle still shows through. Use the circle as a guide when placing the rolls on the sheet pan.
Brushing on an egg wash (1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water whisked together) before baking will result in a shiny and more golden crust.
I have tried two version of dinner roll wreath one with adding pepper and parmesan cheese and second one without any addition.
” width=”1650″ height=”1024″>
If you want you can add herbs or spices of your choice, I think, parsley or rosemary or thyme will be good.
Make sure to bake the dinner roll wreath lined in parchment paper. That way transferring the rolls to a serving plate is easy. Just lift the whole thing up with the parchment paper, place it on your plate, and slide the parchment out.
Make sure to keep a bowl in the center while baking otherwise dinner roll loose the shape. You can remove the bowl after baking and keep a little bowl of butter, cheese or a spread, if that’s your jam.
” width=”1130″ height=”1024″>
My version of Sourdough Holiday Wreath
- Has only milk powder and milk no egg. I wanted to make soft dinner roll without egg.
- Addition of potato flour will retain the moisture in the bread and keep it softer for few days.
- This is not sweet dinner rolls as it has only 3 tablespoons of sugar, you can make it sweeter by increasing up to 4-6 tablespoon sugar.
- This is recipe is adapted from Turkey shaped dinner rolls but with sourdough not a yeast one.
They are best on the day of baking, as warm dinner rolls are perfect for dinner table. If you want next day warm it up in the oven for 5 minutes at 350˚F.
Happy baking and Happy holidays let me know how it turned out for you.
Sourdough Holiday Dinner Roll Wreath
- 100 g all purpose flour
- 50 g whole wheat flour
- 125 g water
- 475 g all purpose flour
- 21 g potato flour
- 15 g milk powder
- 30 g sugar
- 9 g salt
- 59 g butter
- 132 g water
- 128 g milk
- 250 g leaven
- First make leaven with all ingredients and set aside for 6 hours.
- Mix, flour, leaven, salt, sugar, milk powder, potato flour, milk, water and butter and form a shaggy dough.
- Fold the dough every 30 minutes for first 2 hour and then 1-hour interval for next two hours. Finally, after 6 hours.
- Line 16-inch round pizza pan with parchment paper; place 3 1/2-inch diameter bowl upside down in center of pan. Punch down dough. Divide dough evenly into 25 pieces of 42 g. Shape 1 piece into ball, folding ends underneath and pinching at bottom; roll on work surface in circular motion, seam side down, into smooth ball. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
- Arrange balls in ring shape around bowl; place 10 balls first row and 15 balls around first layer. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in size, or refrigerate the dough for overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake until rolls are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 37 minutes. Brush with butter. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
If you want you can make Christmas Tree bread with same dough.
” width=”1024″ height=”1405″>
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.