This sourdough hot cocoa muffins with touch of hot cocoa mix, sourdough starter and marshmallows are perfect during winter season. Instead of drinking you are enjoying a bite of hot cocoa.
History of Hot cocoa
It started as early as 500 BC, the Mayans drank chocolate made from ground-up cocoa seeds mixed with water, cornmeal, and chili peppers (as well as other ingredients)—a much different version from the hot chocolate we know today.
It reaches Europe in early 1500s, by the explorer Cortez who brought cocoa beans and the chocolate drink-making tools to Europe. Although the drink become popular it remained cold and bitter tasting .
In the 19th century, hot chocolate was used as a treatment for stomach and liver diseases as well as a special drink. In America, hot chocolate is made into thin fluid by combining hot water with packets of powder. Sometimes milk is added into it.
How to make this sourdough hot cocoa muffins
You need following ingredients to make this hot cocoa muffins
Flour: Unbleached all-purpose flour is used; you can use a mix of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour if you want.
Sourdough starter: 100% hydration sourdough starter. You can use discard too.
Hot cocoa mix: I used Hot cocoa mix with dark chocolate you can use milk chocolate version too.
Sugar: Granulated sugar for this recipe.
Vanilla extract : to increase the chocolate flavor.
Melted butter : Adds flavor as well as it makes the finished treats soft and dense.
Egg: I used a large egg
Milk: Whole milk is used you can use fat free milk too .
Baking powder: Acts as leaving agent and gives high rise of the muffin during baking.
Salt: Adds flavor and brings out sweetness .
Chocolate chips: I used large chocolate chips you can use mini chocolate chips too.
Marshmallows: This is optional, but it adds extra taste.
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions to Make Sourdough Hot Cocoa Muffins
First make dry ingredients by mixing, flour, hot cocoa mix, salt, sugar, and baking powder
Ready for baking
Then make wet ingredients, by mixing egg, butter, vanilla extract, milk, and sourdough starter.
Then mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients together. Make sure to mix lightly and not over mix.
Then fold in chocolate chips and transfer to prepared muffin tin and bake.
You can use milk chocolate hot cocoa mix instead of dark chocolate hot coca mix.
You can also make variety by adding coffee, spices like cinnamon and cardamom as well as caramel and maple syrup.
This muffin will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature and freeze for more days about 2 months.
Do you like more chocolate muffins
Tips to make perfect sourdough hot cocoa muffins
Make sure to not overmix the dough.
Also bake the muffins at 350
°F instead of higher temperature like other muffin recipes.
Better incorporate marshmallows after baking the muffins rather than mixing with them.
This is less sweet sourdough hot cocoa muffins if you want you can increase the amount of sugar to make it a sweeter version.
I am making this muffin as part of Muffin Monday.
I made this muffin as part of MuffinMonday.#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins.
- Ham and Cheddar Corn Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Peppermint Mocha Muffins from Magical Ingredients
- Sourdough Hot Cocoa Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Spiced Pear Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Sourdough Hot Cocoa Muffins
- 1 cup / 130g unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup +1 tablespoon / 75g Sourdough starter You can use your discard too.
- ⅓ cup / 75g sugar
- ½ cup /71g Hot cocoa mix
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup/ 60g chocolate chips
- ¼ cup /45g milk
- ⅓ cup /75g melted butter
- ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350F . Spray or line 8muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, hot cocoa mix, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together egg, vanilla, milk, melted butter ( cooled) and sourdough starter.
- Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in chocolate chips into the dough .
- Transfer to dough to prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Then add marshmallows to the muffins and continue to bake for another 2 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the muffin tin for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from tin and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.