sourdough Lemon poppy seed streusel muffins are a perfect blend of tangy lemon flavor, the nutty crunch of poppy seeds, and the unique touch of sourdough
Lemon and poppy seeds are classic favorite combo, you can make sourdough bread, cake, muffins, salad dressing you name it. Here are a few recipes I tried with this combo.
This dynamic duo of tangy lemon and crunchy poppy seeds! Join us as we explore a variety of delightful recipes and discover the magic that happens when these two flavors unite in perfect harmony. Here are few Lemon poppy seed sourdough bread , Lemon semolina cake
Poppy seeds have been used in food since before biblical times. Don’t worry about the opium content. Opium is contained in the seed pods of the poppies, and not in the seeds themselves.
- Health benefits of Lemon and poppy seeds
- How to make these Sourdough Lemon poppy seed streusel muffins
- Instructions to make this sourdough lemon poppy seed streusel muffins
- How to serve Sourdough Lemon Poppy Seed Streusel Muffins muffins.
- Top tip.
- More Sourdough Recipes
- Sourdough Lemon Poppy Seed Streusel Muffins
Health benefits of Lemon and poppy seeds
Lemon and poppy seeds not only add delightful flavors to dishes but also offer several health benefits. Let's explore the nutritional advantages of these two ingredients:
Health Benefits of Lemon
- Rich in Vitamin C: Lemons are packed with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that boosts the immune system, supports collagen production for healthy skin, and aids in iron absorption.
- Digestive Aid: The citric acid in lemons stimulates the production of digestive enzymes, promoting healthy digestion and preventing constipation.
- Alkalizing Properties: Despite being acidic, lemons have an alkalizing effect on the body once metabolized, which helps maintain a balanced pH level.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Lemons contain flavonoids, which possess anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body.
- Weight Management: The high fiber content in lemons promotes feelings of fullness and aids in weight management by curbing overeating and stabilizing blood sugar levels.
Health Benefits of Poppy Seeds:
- Nutrient-Rich: Poppy seeds are a good source of essential nutrients like calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and manganese, which are important for maintaining bone health, energy production, and immune function.
- Heart Health: Poppy seeds are rich in monounsaturated fats, which are known to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) levels and increase good cholesterol (HDL) levels, promoting heart health.
- Antioxidant Properties: Poppy seeds contain antioxidants, such as phenolic compounds, which help neutralize harmful free radicals and protect cells from oxidative damage.
- Blood Sugar Control: The fiber content in poppy seeds slows down digestion and absorption, preventing rapid spikes in blood sugar levels and aiding in diabetes management.
- Sleep Aid and Relaxation: Poppy seeds contain natural compounds like sedative alkaloids, which may have a calming effect on the body and promote relaxation. They are often used in traditional remedies for promoting sleep
It's important to note that while lemon and poppy seeds offer potential health benefits, they are best consumed as part of a well-balanced diet. Incorporate them into your meals and recipes to enhance flavor while reaping the nutritional advantages they have to offer
How to make these Sourdough Lemon poppy seed streusel muffins
You need the following ingredients to make the muffins.
- Flour: All-purpose flour. I tried with both bleached all-purpose flour and unbleached all-purpose flour, both turned out to be incredibly good.
- Sourdough starter/discard: I used 100% hydration starter which is not fed. You can use both the fed starter and the non-fed one like in this recipe.
- Baking powder: contains an acid and a base and has a more neutral taste, which gives a more cake like tender crumbs.
- Baking soda: Act as leavener along with baking powder.
- Lemon zest: I used lemon zest you can use up to 2 lemon’s zest.
- Salt: used for flavor.
- Eggs: Add moisture and bind everything together.
- Sugar: Use granulated sugar to sweeten these muffins.
- Lemon juice : I used freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Canola oil: Results in a more delicate and moister crumb in the muffin. You can use any vegetable oil.
- Milk: Adds plenty of moisture and lightens up the crumb.
- Poppy seeds : Adds nuttiness to this recipe.
- See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions to make this sourdough lemon poppy seed streusel muffins
Make streusel with butter, flour and sugar and set it aside.
Then mix flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder and set it aside.
Muffin batter ready
Ready for baking
In another bowl add egg, oil, milk, vanilla extract, sourdough starter, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix well.
Then gradually incorporate wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix once again.
You can top the muffin with streusels.
Bake and enjoy.
How to serve Sourdough Lemon Poppy Seed Streusel Muffins muffins.
These moist and tender treats are infused with fresh lemon zest and dotted with poppy seeds for a delightful texture. With their bright citrus flavor and nutty undertones, these muffins make for a perfect breakfast or afternoon snack. Great with a cup of coffee. These muffins taste great when they are fresh.
You can make muffin with lemon only .
This recipe uses fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. You can use lemon extract also.
Increase amount of lemon zest for lemony flavor, also brush them with lemon juice when they come out of the oven.
You can also add lemony glaze if you want to make it lemony flavor.
Adding lemon extract will also be great to increase the lemon flavor.
This uses fresh lemon juice and lemon zest along with only one egg. Still the muffin is moist and delicious with goodness of sourdough starter/discard.
I have made this Muffins as part of #muffinmonday#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
- Blueberry Basil Jam Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Poppy Zucchini Bread Muffins from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Sourdough Apricot Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Summer Squash Parmesan Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
More Sourdough Recipes
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Sourdough Lemon Poppy Seed Streusel Muffins
- For Stresusel
- 2 tablespoon Butter softend
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- For Muffins
- 1 ⅓ cups 165g all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon Poppy seed Whole
- 3 /4 cups 150g Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon 4 g Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon 2g Salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup 100g Sourdough Starter/ discard
- ⅓ cup 57g/ Milk
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line the muffin tin with 12 paper liner or spray with oil.
- For Stresuel topping
- First make streusel with softned butter, flour, lemon zest and sugar and set aside.
- For muffins
- In a medium bowl, mix, flour, salt, baking powder baking soda , poppy seeds and sugar and set aside.
- Large bowl, add melted butter, egg, lemon juice, lemon zest milk and sourdough starter and mix well.
- To this add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer to muffin tin lined with papper liner
- Then divide and add streusel top of muffin dough.
- Bake at 375°F for 17- 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely in a cooling and rack.
- If you want you can brush with lemon juice on the warm muffins.
- Enjoy with cup of coffee for your breakfast or as snack.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.