Delicious Sourdough mango and banana muffins with touch of sourdough and topped with coconut. Tropical fruits in a bite.
Do you know Mango is known as the ‘King of Fruits’ in the World? Mango is a fleshy stone fruit, indigenous to the Indian subcontinent. There are almost 1000 varieties of mangoes around the world.
Mango is not only a delicious fruit, it also rich in phytochemicals with an undisputed nutritional value for its high content of polyphenolics and vitamins. And is known to have the properties of the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anticancer properties .
Banana contains various essential nutrients. They are rich in potassium and antioxidants. An average-sized banana contains 450–467 mg of potassium.
Coconut known to have healthy fats, its water is a nutrient rich drink you can get from nature. Coconuts contains lauric acid, when it digested it forms a substance called monolaurin known to help fight against fungi, viruses, and bacteria to keep infections at bay.
How to make this Sourdough Mango Banana muffins?
Here are the ingredients to make these delicious muffin.
Sourdough starter : I used 100% hydration sourdough starter you can use white flour starter or mix of whole wheat and white flour starter /discard.
Mango: I used fresh mango you can use frozen mango.
Banana : Mashed banana for more flavor
Flour : Use Unbleached all-purpose and whole wheat flour. You can also use all-purpose or whole wheat flour alone.
Egg: I used one large egg which adds extra moisture as well as gives a lift to the baked goods.
Butter : Used melted unsalted butter if you want you can use your favorite oil.
Baking Powder: I have used baking powder as leavener in this recipe.
Baking soda : Gives a lift to the muffin.
Sugar : This recipe used granulated sugar and brown sugar. If you do not want to add sugar, you can use agave, maple syrup, honey etc.
Spices : I used both vanilla extract and cardamom added to increase the flavor .
Coconut: I used desiccated coconut you can use fresh coconut also.
See recipe card for quantities.
First make dry ingredients using all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom.
Then make wet ingredients by mixing melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and egg . To this add sourdough starter/discard
Incorporate dry ingredients with wet ingredients and fold in mashed banana , chopped mango and coconut.
Both wet and dry ingredients mixed together with mango, banana and coconut.
Transfer to muffin tin with liner and bake.
Yes, you can make variations by adding your favorite nuts like pecans and walnuts . You can make them with blueberry instead of mango muffin also.
How long these muffins can be stored at room temperature ?
These muffins with fresh fruit will remain fresh for 2-3 days at room temperature and if you freeze them, they will be good for about 3 months. Make sure to cool them first and store it in airtight container, if you are planning to freeze use Ziploc bag and freeze them in few so that it will be easy to thaw and use it.
Tips to make this sourdough mango banana muffins.
You can either fresh and frozen mango. I prefer fresh mango which adds more aroma and flavor. If you are using frozen one, do not thaw the mango.
While choosing the mango always use ripe one. Not semi-ripe as they tend to be on the sour side.
Cardamom with mango make wonders when they are together in the recipe.
Adding vanilla extract gives double flavor boost to the muffins.
Other sourdough muffin recipes you may like
- 4 Ingredient, Small Batch, Nutella Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Crawfish Cornbread Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- S’mores Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Mango Banana Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Sourdough Mango Banana Muffins
- 1 cup/ 130g Unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup / 36g Whole Wheat flour
- ½ cup / 100g Sourdough starter
- 2 medium banana / 248g
- ½ teaspoon /1.5g Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon / 1 g baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom
- ⅓ cup / 68g sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon / 22.5g brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoon / 54g Unsalted butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon / 2g salt
- ⅔ cup / 130g Mango chopped into cubes
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp/ 23g Coconut Desiccated
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/ 190°C and line the muffin tin with 12 liners or grease the muffin tin well so that it will not get stick and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom and mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl add both granulated sugar and brown sugar , melted butter, egg , vanilla extract and mix well then add sourdough starter and combine once again.
- Then add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine well. If you see some dry bits of flour is there that is okay do not overmix it. To this add mashed banana and mix well
- Then fold in heaping ½ cup of mango, 3 tablespoon coconut into the dough, rest reserve for garnishing on the top of muffin.
- Transfer the dough to prepared muffin tin. Top with reserved Mango and coconut
- Bake at 375°F/ 290°C for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffin to wire rack and cool completely . You can keep this muffin in room temperature for 2-3 day. If you want to keep longer period freeze the muffins.
- Enjoy with cup of coffee or tea.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.