These are the best sourdough morning glory muffins, hearty, healthy sourdough starter and loads of fresh pineapple, apple, carrots, raisins, and walnuts. Made with half whole-wheat and half all-purpose flour.
History behind this Morning Glory Muffins?
This muffin was created by Chef Pam McKinstry, in 1978 for her “Morning Glory Cafe” in Nantucket Island. The recipe for Morning Glory Muffins published in 1981 in Gourmet Magazine, and in 1991 was chosen as one of the magazine’s 25 favorite recipes from the past 50 years.
This muffin has good dose of fruits , veggies, and nuts. Excellent to start your day with 1-2 two muffins.
How to make this best sourdough Morning glory muffins?
You need to following ingredients to make this
Sourdough Starter/discard : You need 100 % hydration sourdough starter made with 1: 0.5 all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. If you do not have sourdough starter in hand, you can check here for the how to make sourdough starter in this website. Sourdough starters make the muffins soft
Flour: This recipe uses half all-purpose flour and half white whole wheat flour. You can make entirely with whole wheat flour too.
Eggs : Eggs functions as binder and gives moistness to the muffins.
Brown sugar : You can use coconut sugar or any sugar substitute too.
Baking soda and baking powder : Both leavener used in the recipe as dough is heavy with all fruits and nuts and it requires lift.
Canola oil :This recipe uses canola oil; you can use any neutral flavored oil.
Cinnamon : Cinnamon brings out the flavor of the muffins.
Ground ginger : Ginger adds zing to the recipe without overpowering.
Salt : Adds flavor boost to the muffins
Pineapple : I used fresh pineapple making more healthier than the canned version.
Apple : In this recipe has granny smith apple you can use any favorite apple
Carrots : Freshly grated carrots give more flavor boosts. You can use grated carrots from the store also.
Raisins : If you are not raisin person you can use cranberries .
Coconut : I used unsweetened desiccated coconut. If you are using sweetened coconut, it will increase the amount of sugar in the recipe.
Walnuts : Toasted walnuts as extra flavor than non-toasted one.
Vanilla extract : Gives aroma and flavor along with cinnamon and ginger.
See recipe card for quantities.
First mix in all dry ingredients like both all-purpose flour and white whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda , cinnamon, and ginger.
Make wet ingredients by mixing, canola oil, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Then mix sourdough starter.
Combine both wet and dry ingredients. You will find the dough is thick do not worry when you add rest of add on muffin batter will be fine.
Finally fold in, pineapple, coconut, grated apple, carrots, raisins, and toasted walnuts.
Transfer to prepared muffin lined with paper liner
and bake .
Instead of white whole wheat flour you can either use whole wheat pastry flour
If you are not a Raisin fan use cranberries.
You can swap pecans, pepitas for walnuts.
If you don’t have sourdough starter in hand use half apple sauce and add 1 more egg .
You can swap nutmeg for ginger in this recipe.
You need a Pyrex bowl and spatula for mix the ingredients and a muffin tin to make this delicious muffin.
You can store them at room temperature, covered, for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to 2 months.
They taste best on next day as flavors are mixed in very much. You can serve with pat of butter.
Tips to make perfect best sourdough morning glory muffins
You can use any sourdough starter or discard.
Incorporate sourdough starter into wet ingredients as it gives uniform incorporation. Bake at hot temperature if you are looking for characteristic muffin dome shape during the initial baking and then reduce temperature and finish baking.
I made this delicious muffins as part of #muffinmonday.#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
- Cranberry Orange Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Peach Jam Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Pecan Butterscotch Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Stout Raisin Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Sourdough Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Best Sourdough Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup 130 g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 135g white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup 150 g sourdough starter
- ¼ cup 63 ml canola oil / any neutral flavor oil
- ¼ cup 50 g Dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 98 g carrots, grated (approximately 2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup 168 g grated apple (1 medium granny smith apple )
- 1 cup 236g Pineapple chopped ( I used fresh pineapple)
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line 17-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix in dry ingredients, whisk together the all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients sourdough starter, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Then mix in dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. It will be stiff dough do not worry leave it as such.
- Then fold in, grated apple, carrots, pineapple , coconut, raisins, and toasted walnuts into to the dough.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly between the cups in the prepared muffin tin.
- Place the tin in the preheated oven and bake the muffins for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 375°F (190°C) and continue to bake the muffins for 8 minutes more.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, placing the tin on a wire rack to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the muffins from the tin to the wire rack and let them cool completely before storing them an airtight container . Enjoy
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.