Sourdough peanut butter blossoms cookies are made with creamy peanut butter ,sourdough starter/ discard, touch of vanilla extract and Hershey’s kisses.
This is one of my favorite cookies baked during the Christmas season. Tender peanut butter cookies, that have been made from scratch. Once they’re out of the oven, HERSHEY’S KISSES are immediately pressed into the warm cookies so that the dough holds the candy in place. Once they’re cooled and ready to eat, they’re the perfect combination of silky chocolate and tender, sweet-salty peanut butter cookie—and you’d better believe they’ll disappear fast! You can make use of your sourdough discard.
If you don’t want to use sourdough starter in hand, then try this recipe.
These cookies were born when Freda Smith in 1956 ran out of chocolate chips, so she added chocolate Kisses on the top of her cookies. Thus, Peanut butter blossom cookies were made.
How to make sourdough peanut butter blossoms?
You need following ingredients to
- All-purpose flour: Use unbleached all-purpose flour.
- Sourdough discard: You can use active sourdough starter too here.
- Baking soda: You need to check the freshness of baking soda.
- Salt: If you are using salted butter then you can skip this.
- Sugar: Add brown sugar and granulated sugar to the dough. Also granulated sugar is for rolling the cookie.
- Peanut butter: Creamy peanut butter is a must for the recipe. Natural peanut butter made with just peanuts and salt may not work here. You can use any nut butter too.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter.
- Egg : Egg functions as binder in the cookie.
- Vanilla extract: Adds flavor to the cookies.
- HERSHEY’S KISSES: I used HERSHEY’S KISSES milklicious, you can use your favorite one here.
- See recipe card for quantities.
How to make these sourdough peanut butter blossoms cookies ?
First mix in all dry ingredients flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
Dry ingredients with wet ingredients
In another one adds butter , brown sugar, granulated sugar and cream. Once it is creamed well add peanut butter and egg and mix well. To this add sourdough starter and vanilla extract.
Chill the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes. Then shape it into small balls and roll it in granulated sugar.
Shaped cookie dough
After baking at 375 fahrenheit for 8 minutes
Bake it in oven at 375°F after 8 minutes remove from the oven, and press it in Hershey's kiss . ( return to oven this step is completely optional) .
Cool it and enjoy.
Variations to this sourdough peanut butter blossoms cookies
To make it more festive fun, roll the cookies in coarse sparkling sugar or colored decorating sugar before baking.
You can change the chocolate Kiss candies for mini peanut butter cups or a chunk of caramel-filled chocolate bar for a delicious twist
You can freeze both dough and baked cookies.
To freeze unbaked peanut butter blossom cookie dough, just wrap it in wax paper, plastic wrap or foil and place it in resealable food-safe plastic freezer bags or freezer containers.
Shape the dough into individual cookies before freezing to save time. You can freeze the dough for up to six months.
You need to use creamy peanut butter like Jiff. If you don't like peanut butter you can use any creamy nut butter too.
Why my peanut butter blossoms cookies spread so much?
Butter may be warm, so chilling the cookie dough will prevent the cookies from spreading too much.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my other favorite cookies
Sourdough Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1 cup 120g All purpose flour
- ½ cup Sourdough Starter
- ½ cup / 100g granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup / 56g packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup /64g creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ large egg
- ½ teaspoon tsp/ 2g teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 16 HERSHEY'S KISSES milk chocolate candies unwrapped.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl add flour, salt and baking soda and mix well and set aside.
- In large bowl, beat ¼ cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract, egg and sourdough starter with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon, until well blended.
- Then stir in dry ingredients, flour, baking soda and baking powder until dough forms.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes or more.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in additional granulated sugar. On ungreased cookie sheets, place about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately press 1 HERSHEY’S KISSES candy in the center of each cookie.
- If you want, you put the cookies back in oven for 30 seconds. ( This is optional step)
- Remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.