Delicious Sourdough pumpkin Cream cheese muffins made with pumpkin puree, cream cheese, and sourdough starter/discard . This moist pumpkin cream cheese muffins with aromatic pumpkin pie spice.
Why sourdough pumpkin cream cheese muffins are special muffins?
- Because the combination of tangy sourdough starter, warm pumpkin spice, and creamy, slightly tangy cream cheese creates a delightful and complex flavor profile. This unique blend of flavors appeals to people looking for something beyond traditional muffin options.
- Addition of pumpkin puree in the batter adds moisture to muffins which adds extra tender crumb. It adds flavor as essential nutrients like vitamins A and C.
- Pumpkin-flavored treats are particularly popular in the fall and during the holiday season. Baking enthusiasts enjoy making these muffins to celebrate the autumn harvest and bring a seasonal touch to their baking repertoire
- Why sourdough pumpkin cream cheese muffins are special muffins?
- Ingredients to make Sourdough Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Instructions to make this sourdough cream cheese pumpkin muffins.
- Equipment to make these sourdough cream cheese muffins.
- Tips and Tricks
- Top tip
- More pumpkin recipes?
- Sourdough Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Ingredients to make Sourdough Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
To make this sourdough pumpkin cream cheese muffins
- Sourdough starter/discard: I used 100% hydration starter which is not fed. Sourdough starter and discard will work for this recipe.
- Flour : All-purpose flour used in this recipe
- Baking powder: Contains an acid and a base and has a more neutral taste, which gives a more cake like tender crumbs.
- Baking soda : Will generate the "rise" that makes them light and fluffy muffins.
- Salt: Used for flavor the muffins
- Eggs: Adds moisture and binds everything together.
- Sugar: Both granulated sugar and brown sugar is used to sweeten these muffins.
- Melted butter : Results in a more delicate and moister crumb in the muffin. You can substitute with vegetable oil.
- Milk: Adds plenty of moisture and lightens up the crumb.
- Pumpkin Puree : I used 100% pumpkin puree. If you are using homemade ones, make sure to remove excess moisture.
- Vanilla extract : For flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice : I used freshly ground spices recipe. For the homemade version see here. You can use pre-made ones too.
- Cream cheese : I used full fat cream cheese you can use low fat ones too.
- Pepitas : I used roasted salted pepitas, you can use homemade one, too.
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions to make this sourdough cream cheese pumpkin muffins.
First mix flour, salt, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and baking powder and set it aside.
Wet ingredients include egg, melted butter, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, sourdough starter/sourdough discard and mix well .
After incorporating dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
Dry ingredients ( Flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice )
Wet ingredients (Melted butter, Brown sugar, sugar, egg, pumpkin puree and sourdough starter
Wet ingredients to ready to add dry ingredients
Pumpkin batter ready for transfer into the muffin tin
While batter is ready make the cream cheese filling
Cream cheese filling Batter ready for baking
Equipment to make these sourdough cream cheese muffins.
Tips and Tricks
Most importantly use real pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie mix.
- For good muffins don’t over mix , just mix the batter.
- Use softens cream cheese to avoid lumps.
- If you want more uniform cream cheese distribution in the muffins, use piping bag. Otherwise, it will give a natural look if you use spoon.
- You can use both active sourdough starter and discard for this recipe.
- Also, use homemade pumpkin pie spice instead of storebought ones for more flavor.
You can make the following variations to this Sourdough cream cheese muffins.
- Add a streusel topping to these muffins.
- You can add an extra egg to the cream cheese filling .
- If you don’t like pumpkin pie spice just add cinnamon and ginger to the recipe.
- Instead of adding cream cheese on the top of the muffins you can fill the cream cheese mixture in the middle of the muffins to make it as a hidden surprise.
You can store this sourdough pumpkin cream cheese muffins in room temperature for 1 day and then in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
Use a fresh healthy , active sourdough starter/ discard or referigerated starter to make this muffins.
Can I make this sourdough creamcheese muffins to make it as creamcheese swirl muffins,
Yes offcourse you can , make sure dilute the cream cheese batter with a tablespoon milk.
- Cranberry Orange Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Peach Jam Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Pecan Butterscotch Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Stout Raisin Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Sourdough Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Looking for other recipes with pumpkin ? Try these:
More pumpkin recipes?
These are my favorite dishes to serve with
Sourdough Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- 1 ¼ cup 163g All-purpose flour.
- ½ cup 100g sourdough starter /discard
- ½ teaspoons 3g baking powder.
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon 2g salt
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup 50g unsalted butter softened.
- ½ cup 100g Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup 67g Granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup 165g pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For filling
- 6 oz Cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon roasted salted pepitas
- reheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line muffin tin with p 10 paper liners or grease it lightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda salt and pumpkin pie spice . Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, add egg, melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree , sourdough starter, vanilla extract and mix until it is light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to dry ingredients and then mix just until combined . Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- In a small bowl add softened cream cheese, 2tbsp sugar , 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and mix well.
- Spoon the pumpkin batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup with about two-thirds full.
- Then add 2 teaspoon of cream cheese filling on the top of the pumpkin batter. Top with salted roasted pepitas.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.