Delicious Sourdough Star Bread made with a brioche type bread made Sourdough starter, flour, salt and sugar with fruit filling. Excellent dessert bread.
If you are looking for a last-minute edible Christmas or holiday gift idea to friends and family, then try this Sourdough Christmas Star bread. If you have an active sourdough starter in hand, making it is easy. This sourdough Christmas star bread is filled with seedless raspberry jam. If you want, you can add your own favorite filling to make Christmas star bread extra special
How to make Sourdough Christmas Star Bread
Ingredients: you need an active young leavain using 100% sourdough starter. You can make this in the early morning of your bread baking day. If you want plan for overnight leavain then you need to make it before going to bed.
Flour: use unbleached all-purpose flour
Sweetener: use sugar, you can use less sugar as you are going to fill the bread with a sweet filling.
Milk: Use milk instead of water, as it adds extra richness to this brioche type bread. I used whole milk.
Vanilla extract: You can add this to make the dough aromatic. If you want to add orange blossom extractor or rose extract, that will also work here.
Eggs: I prefer to add eggs to get extra richness, if you are going for a eggless version add some potato flour or mashed potato.
Once you made the dough, set aside for proofing, it takes about 7-8 hours at 76 °F. If you have a cold kitchen, try to keep your dough on the top of refrigerator or dryer or even proof option in the oven.
When the dough is doubled in volume divide it into 4 equal pieces. Roll each out into a 10-inch circle, you can use cake tin base as marker. Stack them on top of each other with your filling between each. There will be 4 layers of dough and 4 layers of filling.
Shape the sourdough star bread: It is easy, first cut the dough into 4, then each piece into two, then again each piece into two. In the end you will get 16 pieces. Grab two strips and twist them away from each other, then press the two ends together. Your star bread will have 8 points.
Let it rest for 20 minutes, then bake. Cover the shaped bread and let it rest for 20 minutes before brushing with egg wash and baking. Egg wash gives a beautifully shiny and golden star bread.
How to Fill the Christmas star Bread
You can go wild with your filling: Yes, Nutella, cinnamon sugar, favorite jam, pumpkin butter, or apple butter etc. One thing you must remember while using jam or fruit spread is that they can make the dough wetter. So, while making the dough circle generously spray with the flour. Also, when using jam or fruit spread try to use seedless
Points to Remember:
If you want a sweeter sourdough Christmas star bread after the egg wash sprinkle some turbinado sugar or sugar on the top. Also add exactly 4 tablespoons of jam or fruit spread as filling. If you did not add any sugar on top after egg wash you can add powdered sugar once the bread comes out of the oven.
Bake the bread in high heat, 400 °F is ideal than the 350 °F, as higher temperature gives better initial rise.
You can freeze this sourdough Christmas star bread after baking. If you planning to freeze the dough after first proof divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and freeze the dough. Then when you are ready to bake thaw the dough and shape and bake.
For other Christmas bread recipes please check this 10 tradtional Yeast and sourdough Christams bread recipes
If you tried this recipe pelase tag me @zestysouthindiankitchen in facebook or @nidhinikhil in instagram I would love to see your creations.
Sourdough Star Bread
- Pizza pan
- 335 g Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 94 g leavain I used 100% hydration sourdough starter
- 160 g Whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 57 g Unsalted butter
- 25 g Sugar
- 3 g Salt
- 3 g Vanilla extract
- Filling *
- ¾ cup seedless Raspberry jam
- Egg wash
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Make the dough: Mix all the ingredients except the butter in a kitchen aid stand mixer with paddle attachment until the flour is evenly moistened and the dough has formed a cohesive, sticky mass, 2 to 3 minutes on low speed of a stand mixer.
- Gradually add butter and incorporate about 1 minute on low speed. Once all the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer up one speed and knead the dough until it is smooth and supple though still somewhat soft and tacky, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm (75°F) place for 8 to 12 hours.* ( If you want less sourdough tang reduce the time ) To develop strength in the dough, stretch and fold it in the bowl three to four times during the rest. This will increase the elasticity of the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased or floured work surface and gently deflate it. Divide the dough into Four 173g piece each.
- Spread each dough into 10-inch circle. Place dough on a lightly floured work surface.
- Place the bottom circle on prepared baking sheet. If it lost its circle shape, use your hands to form the edges back into a round shape. Top with filling about ¼ cup raspberry fruit spread, leaving ½” of exposed dough along edges. Then layer the remaining circles and filling on top.
- The top layer does not have filling on it, so only 3 of the 4 circles will be topped with filling. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut any scraps around the edges so you have an even circle. Place a 3-inch round object or bowl in the center and make an indent.
- This is the center of the star. Now it is time to cut strips from the edge to the center 3-inch circle. Using a pizza cutter, cut 16 even strips. Using both hands, grab two strips and twist them away from each other twice, then press the two ends together to make a point. Your star bread will have 8 points.
- Cover the shaped bread with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (204°C).
- Bake the bread: Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the star bread with egg wash. This ensures a beautifully shiny golden-brown bread. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. If you notice the top or points browning too quickly, loosely tent the star bread with aluminum foil. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- To bake the same day: Bake the buns in a preheated 400°F oven for 22 minutes, until golden. A digital thermometer inserted into the center of a middle bun should read 190°F/ 87°C.
- Dust confectioners’ sugar on top and enjoy warm.
- You can cover and store leftover star bread at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. For long time use you can freeze them.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.