Delicious strawberry and chocolate muffins with touch of sourdough and brown sugar makes it moist excellent breakfast.
Dark chocolate and strawberry are classic combo as chocolate’s bitter punch marries perfectly with sweet strawberries. On the other hand, white chocolate pairs well with tart fruit.
If you are looking recipe with just strawberries then try this sourdough strawberry muffins.
Strawberries are known for their high content of vitamin C. Strawberries also provide several other vitamins, such as thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and vitamin B6 and contain fat-soluble vitamins, including carotenoids, vitamin A, vitamin E and vitamin K.
Among fruits, strawberries are one of the richest natural folate sources (43 μg per 100 g fresh fruit) and also have high antioxidant activity. Strawberries are also a good source of minerals like manganese, iodine, magnesium, copper, iron, and phosphorus.
Chocolate on the other hand considered as” food of Gods ‘‘by ancient Mayan Empire. Among the chocolate, dark chocolate, with high percentages of cocoa, flavonoids, and theobromine and low content of sugar, differently from milk chocolate or other types of chocolate, has health-promoting effects, including the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
Also, cocoa induces positive effects on blood pressure, insulin resistance, and vascular function. It increases production of nitric oxide (NO) and has antioxidant effects, e.g., delayed oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and inhibiting ultraviolet-induced DNA oxidation
How to make this delicious sourdough strawberry chocolate muffins?
You need following ingredients to make this
Sourdough starter /discard: You can use sourdough starter made with any flour. Here I used 100% of 50:50 whole wheat flour : All-purpose flour starter/discard. If you don’t have one in hand use this recipe of to make one.
All-purpose Flour: I used unbleached all-purpose flour, you can use any flour of your favorite. You can also make a combo of both all-purpose and whole wheat flour
Brown Sugar: Sweetener used in this recipe is brown sugar.
Eggs: Adds moistness as well as act as a binder.
Spices : Cinnamon and vanilla extract is used in this recipe.
Melted butter: makes the finished treats soft and dense, as well as flavorful.
Strawberries: Fresh strawberries are best you can also use frozen ones.
Semi chocolate chips: It gives both chocolatey taste as well as sweetness.
Salt: Brings out flavor of sweet dish.
Baking powder: is used as leavening agent, which is required as it has heavy chocolate chips and strawberries.
See recipe card for quantities.
First mix in all the dry ingredients, flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and set aside.
All purpose flour
Fold in strawberries and chocolate chips
Transfer to muffin tin
Hint: Sprinkle some brown sugar in the top along with strawberries and chocolate chips on the top of muffins.
Variations for this sourdough strawberry chocolate muffins.
Instead of all-purpose flour you can use a combo of whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour.
You can use bitter chocolate chips or chocolate chunks instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
If you want more dark color, then use dark brown sugar.
Along with cinnamon you can add nutmeg as spice.
You can use both fresh and frozen strawberries, however if you are using frozen one does not thaw them.
Tips to remember while baking this sourdough strawberry chocolate muffins
Bake the muffins in high temperature (400F/ 200 C give best dome shaped classic muffin structure.
If you are not using paper liner you need to make to grease muffin tin really well.
Batter will be thick as soon as you add strawberries, it will be fine.
You can sprinkle turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar. This will more crunch and shiny look for the muffin.
Since these muffins contains fruit, it will stay fresh for 2 days at room temperature, you can freeze them for long time use.
Enjoy with cup of tea or coffee.
I have made this muffin as a part of Muffin Monday#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins.
- 4 Ingredient, Small Batch, Nutella Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Crawfish Cornbread Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- S’mores Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Mango Banana Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Sourdough Strawberry Chocolate Muffins
- 1 ½ cup 195g all purpose flour
- ¾ cup 175g Brown Sugar
- ½ cup 100g sourdough starter
- ¼ cup 46g melted butter
- ¼ cup 50g milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ teaspoon 7g baking powder
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoon Strawberries
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400F/ 204 C and line the muffin tin with 9 liners or grease the muffin tin well so that it will not get stick and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix, flour, baking powder, cinnamon ,salt and keep aside.
- In a large bowl add sugar, melted butter, egg , milk , vanilla extract and mix well then add sourdough starter and combine once again.
- Then add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine well. If you see some dry bits of flour is there that is okay do not overmix it.
- Then fold in ¾ cup of strawberries and ½ cup + 2 tablespoon semi sweet chocolate chips into the dough, rest reserve for garnishing on the top of muffin.
- Transfer the dough to prepared muffin tin. Top with reserved strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Bake at 400F/ 2104 C for 15 minutes and or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffin to wire rack and cool completely . You can keep this muffin in room temperature for 2-3 day. If you want to keep longer period freeze the muffins.
- Enjoy with cup of coffee or tea.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.