Sourdough Whole Wheat Chocolate with addition of double chocolate (chocolate chip and cocoa powder) ,orange juice and vanilla.
Addition of double chocolate (chocolate chip and cocoa powder) to this sourdough whole wheat takes your breakfast bread to another level.
If you are looking for a simple whole wheat sandwich bread, then try this. It is delicious as toast or sandwich.
Sourdough whole wheat spelt chocolate bread makes excellent treat with dollop of cream cheese.
Spelt is better than Whole Wheat?
Yes, spelt is better than whole wheat, both are nutritionally similar however spelt is slightly higher in zinc and protein. 80% of protein in spelt is gluten. It has more antioxidant capacity than whole wheat.
How to make this Sourdough Whole Wheat Chocolate Bread
You need following ingredients to make this delicious bread.
- Whole wheat flour : I used white whole wheat flour you can use regular whole wheat flour
- Spelt flour : Is mild in flavor, nutty and slightly sweet. The light texture means your baked goods will not be heavy or dense, making whole wheat spelt flour
- Cocoa powder : Natural processed cocoa powder in this recipe. You can use Dutch processed cocoa powder.
- Orange juice : Freshly squeezed orange juice used in this recipe.
- Chocolate chips : Semi-sweet chocolate chips are used. You can use white chocolate or bittersweet chocolate chips.
- Salt : Helps to control the fermentation.
- Honey : Used as sweetener in this recipe you can use maple syrup or sugar free substitute.
- Sourdough starter I have used whole wheat and rye starter with 100% hydration.
- Water: Along with orange juice water added to the recipe. Since whole grains absorb more water.
- Diastatic malt powder : Contains active enzymes that function as natural dough conditioners in fermented dough. It promotes strong rise, adding a mild natural malt flavor, and enhancing appealing crust browning
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions to make this Sourdough Whole Wheat Spelt Chocolate Bread
First make starter using whole wheat or rye starter or you can use a mix of whole wheat and rye starter like in this recipe.
In a bowl add whole wheat flour, spelt flour, cocoa powder and mix well
To this add water, orange juice, honey ,vanilla extract and mix well and set aside.
Incorporate starter into the dough.
After 30 minutes add salt and set aside for 2 hours
With whole wheat and spelt you will not see any windowpane or gluten formation like the white flour.
Stretch and fold for two times and set aside for 2-3 hours.
Then laminate the dough and incorporate the chocolate chips into the dough.
After 1hour , shape the dough into loaf and proof for overnight.
Next morning bring the dough to room temperature and set aside until dough reach the rim of the pan and bake . It takes about 2-3 hours depending upon temperature of your kitchen.
Variations to sourdough whole wheat chocolate bread
You can make this bread entirely with whole wheat or spelt flour alone.
Instead of chocolate chips you can use chocolate chunks, only problem you may face is that there will be tearing of dough and oozing out of the chocolate .
Instead of chocolate chips you can use dry fruits like craisins, raisins or dried apricots. Nuts like almond, walnuts and pecans will be good with bread.
You need good loaf pan is needed to make this bread.
This bread will remain good for 3-4 days at room temperature, for long time freshness you need to slice and freeze them. Reheat when you are ready to serve. You can use both toaster of oven to reheat them.
Tips while making this bread
Since it is whole grain bread, it is not easy to test windowpane. Use 100 % or 125 % hydration to make this bread.
As whole grains and cocoa powder tend to absorb moisture.
As whole grains both bran and germ than just endosperm in white flours, former two uses more water than the later.
When there is not enough water and too much flour whole wheat bread can be crumbly.
When you transferring to the loaf tin make sure to oil the sides well and line the loaf tin with parchment paper, this is completely optional, but it will help to easy transfer of the bread from the pan. T
his bread is excellent as toast with some spreadable cream cheese. You can make excellent sandwich bread. Also make excellent bread pudding.
If you tried this bread, please tag me on nidhinikhil in Instagram and Zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook.
Sourdough Whole Wheat Chocolate Bread
- 2 ¼ cup /305 g Whole Wheat Flour King Arthur flour
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon /100 g Spelt flour
- ¾ teaspoon /6 g Diastatic malt powder
- ⅔ cup / 88g Whole wheat sourdough starter
- ¾ cup /81g Cocoa powder
- ¼ cup/ 60g Honey
- ½ tsp/ 2.17g Vanilla extract
- ½ cup/ 85g Chocolate chips
- 1 ½ tsp/ 9g salt
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon /156g orange juice
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon /160g water
- For the dough
- In a large bowl add whole wheat flour and spelt flour, diastatic malt powder, cocoa powder and mix well to this add orange juice, water, vanilla extract, and honey and mix well.
- After 1 hour add starter to the dough and mix well make sure to knead well so that everything incorporated well. Set aside for 30 minutes and then add salt, rest of water( 15g ) , and mix once again.
- Stretch and fold the dough after 1 hour interval for 2 hours.
- Then laminate the dough and incorporate the chocolate chips. Set aside for 2 hours.
- Then shape the dough into a loaf and transfer for oiled pan
- Keep the loaf inside refrigerator.
- Bring the dough to room temperature and let it raise until the rim of the pan. It will take about 3-4 hours depending upon your room temperature.
- During end of dough rise, pre-heat the oven 375°F/ 190°C and place the loaf in baking sheet and bake for about 40-45 minutes
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.