Delicious moist Sourdough Zucchini Bread made with sourodugh starter, flour, sugar and zucchini with spices. Excellent and lightly sweet breakfast bread.
This Sourdough Zucchini bread is a delicious and healthy twist to classic zucchini bread recipe and is not overly sweetened and moist in every bite.
If you are looking for moist and tender breakfast quick bread that uses up the Zucchinis from the garden, then try this Sourdough Zucchini Bread. Or if you are looking for a mildly sweet zucchini bread, then try this recipe.
You can use up the sourdough starter also.
Zucchini in Baked goods?
Zucchini is considered to bananas or applesauce in baking.
It adds a wonderful texture and moistness to baked goods and helps bulk up cakes and breads and muffins with a boost of nutrition.
It is best way to sneak some extra veggies to your diet as well as picky eater in your family like my kids.
Zucchini has such a mild flavor that it pairs beautifully with everything starting from cinnamon to chocolate.
If you have sourdough starter in hand, make this delicious Sourdough zucchini bread. Check here to make one sourdough starter if you do not have one.
The effort you take to make sourdough starter gives great output in the form of delicious sourdough bread.
How to make this Sourdough Zucchini bread?
There is no need to squeeze out the water of zucchini unless you are baking a sourdough bread with zucchini like here.
Make sure to grate the zucchini using big box grater.
I used unsweetened applesauce to add extra moisture you can either use a banana or almond milk or combination of both.
If you are looking for sweet sourdough zucchini bread add 1 ½ cup (270g) of sugar.
I have used vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. You can add cardamom too if you want.
Just like any other muffin and quick bread not overmix the dough.
First incorporate spices, baking soda and salt along with flour. If you want, you can ½ cup whole wheat flour, but bread will make become slightly dense.
I did not add whole wheat as I used sourdough starter (50:50) whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. You can use whatever starter you have in your hand.
While mixing the batter make sure not to overmix that can make sourdough zucchini bread harden.
You need to cover the bread for last 10 minutes of baking as top gets darker and inside is still not done.
I have used just two bowls, one for wet ingredients and one for dry ingredients and whisk. If you can, use a handle held mixer or Kitchen Aid mixer. Keep in mind no overmixing.
You can add chocolate chips or substitute half cup of flour with cocoa powder. You can use both together.
If you want to add blueberries you can do that as zucchini and blueberries will be make ultimate combo.
You can skip apple sauce in the recipe and add banana.
If you like nuts, you can finally fold in either walnut or pecans. I personally like pecans.
Here is more zucchini recipe for you
Baked Zucchini fries
If you made this zucchini bread, please tag me in Instagram @nidhinikhil or in Facebook Zestysouthindiankitchen
Sourdough Zucchini Bread
- 250 g 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 233 g grated zucchini, from appx. 1 medium zucchini
- 225 g 1 1/4 cups lightly packed light brown sugar ( You can use dark brown sugar also) **
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup 83g Unsweetened apple sauce*
- 100 g appx. 1/2 cup sourdough discard OR active 100% hydration starter
- 1 tsp 2g cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1½ tsp 9g baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 125 ml ½ cup Vegetable oil ( you can use any favorite oil )
- Butter for coating the pan.
- How to Prepare your Sourdough Starter: You can use leftover sourdough discard, make sure it is in good condition (no brown liquid, no vinegary smell, not straight from the fridge. Or the one you after 5-6 hours of feeding it just doubled and collapsed after. OR you can use active starter, then you will need to feed it prior to making the recipe and wait for it to become bubbly and double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 360°F / 182°C. Lightly coat one 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with butter and flour and line with parchment paper for extra protection.
- Using a box grater, grate the zucchini on an angle on the side with largest holes. There No need to drain out the excess water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt together and set aside
- Add the apple sauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Add the sourdough starter. Add the grated zucchini and mix well.
- Working in batches, add flour mix to wet mixture. Mix until just combined. Do not over do it; bread will be dense. The texture should be thick and pourable, but not runny. Add more flour if needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place onto a baking sheet and transfer to the oven.
- Bake it in a preheat oven of 360°F / 182°C for 45-50 minutes or until rich golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cover with foil if the loaf browns too quickly.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
**This is lightly sweetened sourdough zucchini bread, if you want sweet sourdough zucchini bread to add ¼ cup more sugar.
If you want to store the sourdough Zucchini bread: wrap the loaf with plastic wrap keep at room temperature. Because of the moisture in the zucchini, the texture will get softer and softer each day.
If you want to freeze the sourdough Zucchini bread: Once completely cool, wrap the loaves and freeze the loaf will be fine until 3 months. When you want thaw and use it.
If you want to double the sourdough Zucchini bread : simply double the ingredients as listed.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.