Delicious spiced salmon bites with heat from peppers and touch of sweetness from maple syrup and pan fried to perfection.
If you are looking for a simple yet delicious appetizer or a meal eaten with a salad with some avocado and onion relish, then try this Spiced salmon bites.
These little salmon bites are made in pan by frying them. You can either roast them at a high temperature to get a little charring on the outside, but yet perfectly cooked salmon on the inside.
Leftovers also make a great addition to your lunchbox the next day.
You can buy salmon either fresh or frozen. Both will work for the recipe.
You can try this recipe with any fleshy white fish: cod, haddock, pollock, etc.
The recipe is flexible. You can add or omit any spice you like or do not like.
How to make Spiced Salmon bites ?
You need the following ingredients to make this
Salmon: You can keep them with either skin on or without skin.
Paprika: gives sweet notes as well as red color.
Cayenne pepper: Adds heat to dish.
Black pepper: I used crushed black pepper you can use fine one also.
Salt : You need well salted salmon.
Lime juice : Lime juice acts as meat tenderizer. Also helps to crisp up while pan frying.
Maple syrup: Salmon dishes always taste better with hint of sweetness.
Cornmeal: gives a crispy coating as well help to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of pan.
Variation to this Spiced salmon bites ?
This recipe is a pan-fried version, you can either grill them using skewer. Grill just until fish is opaque throughout.
I have used cornmeal, you can substitute with breadcrumbs if you want.
If you like smoky heat, then use either chipotle pepper powder or chipotle pepper in adobo sauce.
I haven’t added any fresh green you can either add fresh thyme or parsley if you want.
You can add either onion or garlic powder if not add ginger garlic paste.
Tips to get crisp spiced salmon bites.
You need to pat dry the salmon cubes before adding it with spices and other ingredients to get uniform coating.
Always use lemon or lime juice to tenderize the meat.
For coating there is no need of flour coating you can use cornmeal or breadcrumbs.
If you are following paleo, keto or whole30 diet, you need to change whole grain means cornmeal to either almond meal or coconut flour.
Alternative’s way to cook this Salmon bites.
- Air Fryer: Bake in the air fryer at 350F for 13 minutes.
How to serve ?
You can serve this with either avocado onion relish with just lemon juice, black pepper, and salt, or avocado mango salsa
You can also make them into tacos, salad, or warp.
If you try this recipe tag me in Instagram @nidhinikhil or Facebook @zestysouthindiankitchen.
I made this Spiced salmon bites as part of #fishfridayfoodies. I am hosting this month event Seafood Appetizer.
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Crumbed Fresh Herbed Fried Fish by Sneha’s Recipe
- Peel-N- Eat Shrimp by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Piri Piri Shrimp by Palatable Pastime
- Spiced Salmon bites by Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Sweet and Spicy Shrimp by A day in the life on the farm
- Vietnamese-Style Summer Rolls with Smoked Trout Pate and Smoked Salmon by of Goats and Greens
Do you like more Salmon Recipes ?
Spiced Salmon Bites
- 1 Lb. salmon cut it into 3-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ lime juice
- 2 tablespoon cornmeal
- ¼ cup peanut oil
Avocado onion relish
- 2 avocados sliced in cubes
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ of lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tablespoon cilantro
- First cut the salmon into 3-inch cubes and pat dry and set aside. I removed the skin; you can keep it if you want.
- In a large bowl add paprika, cayenne pepper ,salt , maple syrup, pepper and lemon juice and mix well
- To this add salmon pieces and coat well. And set aside for 15 minutes.
- When you ready to fry add corn meal and mix well once again.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add salmon pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the one side is cooked then flip and cook the other side too.
- When both sides are cooked well remove from the pan and serve with Avocado onion relish.
Avocado onion relish
- In another bowl mix avocado, red onion and lemon juice, salt and pepper and cilantro and serve with cooked salmon .
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.