Usually my hubby comes home for lunch, yesterday he didn’t came home for lunch as he had a lunch meeting at the office. Normally in that situation I would make mixed rice, so both daughter and mother can have it with some yogurt. Yesterday for a change I made spinach rice. It is an easy breezy dish. I tasted this rice first time in one of my friend’s house in Stockholm. She had invited us for dinner and made this rice along with a few other dishes. I liked it immediately and asked her for the recipe, which she gave me.
- 4 cup Cooked rice I used Rosematta rice/ rice from Kerala
- 6 cup Spinach: chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup Onion finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon urmeric powder
- 1 Green chil I used Serrano pepper
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ th teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Ghee/ clarified butter
- Wash the spinach in running water and chopped into finely and set aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a thick bottom pan add cumin seeds when they starts splutter add onion, green chilies and ¼ teaspoon of salt and fry until onion becomes translucent or change color it takes about 6 minutes. To this add chopped spinach, turmeric powder, sugar and rest of salt and cook for another 3 minutes or until spinach starts to wilt.
- Once spinach is cooked add cumin powder, chili powder and garam masala and fry for 2 minutes. Finally add cooked rice to spinach spice mixture and mix everything so that spices and spinach gets coated with rice for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Enjoy with yogurt and a pickle.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.