This berry rich Strawberry sourdough muffins are not only flavorful but also delicious with fresh sweet strawberries, vanilla extract, and sourdough.
If you have some left-over starter from bread baking, then this is a great way to give your starters some exercise. These fruit-filled muffins with fresh berries and touch of turbinado sugar give some crunch while you bite one.
HOW CAN I USE UP STRAWBERRIES?
Strawberries are one of the most delicious berries than you can use to make easy summer desserts, it can be added to bring flavor to salads. You can even dress up with it breakfast pancakes or crepes . Add to your morning cereal.
Or you can snuggle into muffins and can even add to hummus or add to a fruity salsa!
Frozen strawberries are good to make the pie filling, sauce and even in smoothies.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SOURDOUGH MUFFINS?
To make this strawberry Sourdough Muffins you need following ingredients.
First and foremost is sourdough starter. I used 50: 50 all-purpose and whole wheat flour 100% hydration starter.
Do not have any starter? Here is a recipe for homemade sourdough starter. If you are looking for tips, techniques, and all kinds of great information about sourdough baking? Find out how to make every bake successful with these guides.
Strawberries : I used fresh strawberries, you need to chop them into small pieces.
If using frozen berries, do not thaw them before adding to the batter; you will have fewer red streaks if they are added frozen, otherwise they will tend to break down.
Flour : I used all-purpose flour, you can use a mix of all-purpose or whole wheat flour .
Egg: I used large egg which adds extra moisture as well as gives a lift to the baked goods.
Butter : Used melted unsalted butter, if you want you can use your favorite oil
Baking Powder: I have used baking powder as leavener in this recipe.
Sugar : This recipe used granulated sugar. If you do not want to add sugar, you can use agave, maple syrup, honey etc.
Spices : I used both vanilla extract and cinnamon added to increase the flavor .
Turbinado sugar : This step is optional it will give some extra crunch on every bite.
CAN I MAKE VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE?
Yes, you can make variations by adding your favorite nuts like pecans and walnuts . You can make them with other berries like, blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry.
HOW LONG DO THEY LAST?
These muffins are made with fresh fruit so it will remain fresh for 2-3 days at room temperature and if you freeze them, they will be good for about 3 months. Make sure to cool them first and store it in airtight container , if you are planning to freeze use Ziploc bag and freeze them in few so that it will be easy to thaw and use it.
If you try this recipe, please tag me @nidhinikhil on instagram or @zestysouthindiankitchen at Facebook .
I have made this recipe as part of #muffinmonday.#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
- Cranberry Orange Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Peach Jam Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Pecan Butterscotch Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Stout Raisin Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Sourdough Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!
See more Muffins
STRAWBERRY SOURDOUGH MUFFINS
- 1 ¼ cup/ 163g Unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup / 100g Sourdough starter
- 2 teaspoon /6g baking powder
- ½ teaspoon / 1.5 g cinnamon
- ¾ cup / 150g sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoon / 71g Unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon / 2g salt
- ⅓ cup / 70g Milk
- 1 cup / 200g Strawberries
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp/ 30g Turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425F/ 218 C and line the muffin tin with 9 liners or grease the muffin tin well so that it will not get stick and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix, flour, baking powder, cinnamon ,salt and keep aside.
- In a large bowl add sugar, melted butter, egg , milk , vanilla extract and mix well then add sourdough starter and combine once again.
- Then add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine well. If you see some dry bits of flour is there that is okay do not overmix it.
- Then fold in ¾ cup of strawberries into the dough, rest reserve for garnishing on the top of muffin.
- Transfer the dough to prepared muffin tin. Top with reserved strawberries
- Bake at 425F/ 218 C for 8 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350F/177 C for 13 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffin to wire rack and cool completely . You can keep this muffin in room temperature for 2-3 day. If you want to keep longer period freeze the muffins.
- Enjoy with cup of coffee or tea.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.