Do you love to eat Sugar free sourdough banana bread? If so, then here is a banana bread with goodness of sourdough? You can enjoy this banana bread without any guilt.
Little bit history of banana bread ?
Banana bread is an American staple, got its popularity with the commercialization of baking soda and baking powder in the 1930s. First it appeared in Pillsbury's 1933 Balanced Recipes cookbook, then in 1950 original Chiquita Banana's Recipe Book.
Even though the origin of the first banana bread recipe is unknown, but the speculation is that it originated in 18th century. The home baking revival of the 1960s and the simplicity of its recipe led to an explosion that made banana bread famous.
February 23rd is the as National Banana Bread Day .
Looking for banana bread recipes here you can find variety of banana bread recipes. After school banana bread ,
If you add sourdough starter or discard to the recipe, it yields a more softer and moist banana bread .
How to make this Sugar free sourdough banana bread ?
You need following ingredients to make this bread
All-purpose flour : Use unbleached all-purpose flour or all-purpose whole wheat flour blend.
Sourdough starter/discard : I used 100% hydration sourdough starter ( I used all purpose: whole wheat flour 40: 10 ratio)
Monk fruit-stevia blend : I like to use in my baked good.
Egg : Use large egg.
Banana : Use ripe banana for more natural sweetness.
Butter : Unsalted butter gives more flavor to this quick bread.
Canola oil : Adds fat content to the bread.
Salt : Brings out flavor in the bread.
Vanilla extract and Cinnamon : They take care of flavor and aroma of this banana bread.
Milk : you can use any milk of your choice.
Pecans : Use toasted pecans to give more taste. Leavening agent used here is baking soda
See recipe card for quantities.
First make dry ingredients by mixing flour, salt ,baking powder and baking soda.
Then in mix wet ingredients mashed banana, monk fruit-stevia blend, egg, melted butter, oil and vanilla extract.
Then incorporate sourdough starter/discard and mix in with dry ingredients and finally fold in the nuts.
Bake until toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy with cream cheese or butter.
Sourdough discard/ starter
Batter ready to transfer in baking tin
Variations to make this Sugar free Sourdough Banana Bread
You can use any nuts, sugar free chocolate chips to this recipe.
Adding cardamom instead of cinnamon will also be good
If you do not have sourdough starter /discard in hand, you can also make this bread without it also. I have tried that too.
Monk fruit- stevia blend works well in this recipe. If you want more sweeter banana bread, you may need to increase the amount of sweetener.
This bread will not get characteristic brown color as sweetener used is Monk fruit-stevia blend. I found that stevia alone can result in bitter after taste.
This is moist and delicious banana bread its own.
I made this Sugar free sourdough banana bread for Bread baker’s event.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Sugar Free Sourdough Banana Bread
- Loaf pan
- 2 cup / 250g All-purpose flour
- ½ cup 100g Sourdough Starter I used 100% hydration sourdough starter
- ¼ cup/ 51g whole milk
- ⅓ cup /66g Monk fruit-stevia blend if you want sweeter version use ½ cup
- ¼ cup / 50g Canola oil
- ¼ cup / 46g Butter Unsalted, melted
- 1 egg
- 3 medium bananas
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup 78g Pecans Toasted and chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 375°F/ 190° C .
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or spray it with a nonstick baking spray and line with parchment paper for extra safety.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl.
- Roast the Pecans in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes and crush them into small pieces and set aside.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon in a large bowl. To this mixture and mix everything.
- In another bowl add melted butter, oil, then add, egg, milk, sourdough starter/discard and vanilla. Then incorporate monk fruit-stevia blend.
- Add flour mix into wet ingredients.
- Then, add mashed banana mixture and mix until everything is combined well.
- Add crushed pecans and mix well once again.
- Transfer the batter to baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- If you have any leftovers, this banana bread can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days by wrapping them with foil.
- For longer storage freeze them individually in freezer and thaw and warm it before serving.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.