Swedish Limpa is a sweet Scandinavian rye bread,made with rye and bread flour with orange and spices. Execllent breakfast bread with touch of butter.
What is Swedish Limpa ?
Ingrdients to make Swedish Limpa
- Whole wheat flour
- Sourdough starter
Then make the final dough using following ingredients.
Whole wheat flour
Sweetners like brown sugar, molasses
- For the starter:
- 1.5 cup / 191g White whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon/ 78g 100% whole wheat and rye sourdough starter
- ½ cup 2 tablespoon 127g Water
- Final dough:
- The entire starter
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon 142g Rye flour
- 1 cup cup/ 142g White whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon / 9g Salt
- ½ teaspoon / 2g Instant yeast
- 2 tablespoon / 15g Light olive oil
- ½ tablespoon / 2g Anise seed
- ½ tablespoon 3g Caraway
- 5 Cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon 37g Molasses
- 1 tablespoon 6g Orange Zest
- ¾ cup / 170g Water
- ¼ cup 46g Orange juice
- Day before baking
- Mix the ingredients in the starter together in a bowl for a minute until the ingredients to form soft dough. Knead for about 2 minutes. The dough will be tacky. If you need more water or flour, add them a teaspoon at a time. Rest for 5 minutes; knead with wet hands for a minute.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and use.
- On the day of baking
- In a bowl of kitchen aid stand mixer add all the ingredients for final dough and Knead everything well for 5-7 minutes until you have not-too-sticky, supple dough. Form into a ball, let it rest covered with a kitchen towel for 20 minutes and knead for another minute. Add tablespoon of flour or a teaspoon of water at a time to adjust the consistency if you need to.
- Roll the dough into a ball and swirl it around an oiled bowl to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let it rise for 3 hours and 15 minutes until 1.5 times its original size.
- After the first rise punch down and shape the dough into a boule (ball). And place it in baking sheet lined with parchment paper cover and let it rise for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until it rise about 1.5 times of it original size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425F with an empty pan in the top rack and another rack in the middle.
- When you are ready to bake, make a score on the top of boule and dust with flour and then mist with water. And place it in the middle rack with the baking sheet, and pour a cup of hot water into the pan on the top rack.
- Reduce the heat to 350F and bake for 45minutes or until the loaf registers 200F in the center. You can rotate it once at the 20 minute mark.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.