Delicious sweet potato pancake made with fresh sweet potato puree and spices, mildly sweet excellent breakfast dish. Goes with maple syrup and butter.
Do you having any plans for the Thanksgiving, and are you travelling to visit friends and family? Since my family is in India no travels this year, we are going to spend our Thanksgiving at home. I have planned few menus, will try that.
Kids are already having vacation, and hubby is starting his holiday break from tomorrow. And to make my daughter happy, I made this sweet potato pancake for breakfast yesterday. My princess helped me make it and she enjoyed it thoroughly.
She had this sweet potato pancake for her breakfast and for dinner. I saw this recipe in a local grocery magazine, and the recipe called for a store bought pancake mix. I don’t have it in my hand, so made everything from the scratch.
I also reduce the amount of sugar as sweet potato itself has some sweetness. My kids thoroughly enjoyed it, so I am going to make it for them occasionally.
While reading the health benefit of Sweet potatoes I got amazed. It has low glycemic index and also high in fiber. Studies show that type 1 diabetics who consume high-fiber diets have lower blood glucose levels and type 2 diabetics may have improved blood sugar lipids and insulin levels. One medium sweet potato provides about 6 grams of fiber (skin on).
One medium sweet potato provides about 542 milligrams of potassium which help to reduce the blood pressure. Since it is rich in vitamin C and beta carotene it helps the immunity. The antioxidant vitamins C and E in sweet potatoes have been shown to support eye health and prevent degenerative damage. Read more from here.
Usually I make stir fry with them, but for a change I thought I will try it in pancake. Now that it is a hit at home, I am going to try it in bread recipes too. Princess also discovered that with maple syrup pancake tastes more delicious.
Her ratio of pancake to syrup was 1: 2. It is really easy to make, you need to first cut the sweet potato into few pieces and then microwave it in high heat for 7 minutes or until it is tender, then puree it along with some milk.
Later mix in with egg, and rest of milk. To this gradually add flour mix and mix well once again and make pancakes. I have tried pumpkin pancakes that are my favorite till now this sweet potato pancakes also becomes a favorite.
Here comes the recipe, if you want to try it with whole wheat flour or any other grain that is fine. I haven’t tried it; still I think it will be tasty because of the sweet potato.
Sweet potato pancake
- 0.842 lb/382 g Sweet potato ¾ of large sweet potato
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ tablespoon of butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cup of 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or non stick spray
- Wash and cut the sweet potato into big 3 or 4 pieces and use fork to poke holes in each piece
- and place it in a microwave safe plate and microwave at high heat for 5-7 minutes or until it become soft and tender.
- Remove the skin and blend sweet potato until smooth and pureed with ½ cup of milk.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
- In a large bowl combine melted butter, egg, milk and sweet potato puree.
- To this stir in flour mixtures until every mixed well.
- Heat a frying pan over low medium heat and coat with little oil.
- Place a ¼ cup of batter into the pan for making each pancake
- Cook 2 minutes or until the edges are starting to harden. Flip pancake and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat the process until you finish the entire batter.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or pancake syrup of your choice.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.