Delicious Turmeric Sourdough bread made with flour, multigrain flour with anti- inflammatory turmeric, goes well bowl of soup.
Turmeric Sourdough bread was in my mind for long time. Even though I use turmeric every day, I haven’t tried it in Sourdough bread. Sourdough bread are my weakness. This time I used ground turmeric powder and I fell in love with the bread, so I am going to try with fresh turmeric.Beauty of sourdough bread
It is like a new movie you are watching you don’t know what will happen in the end. Sourdough is made with natural wild yeast and microbes growing in your surroundings. Sourdough bread has a sour taste and better inherent keeping qualities than breads made with baker’s yeast, due to the lactic acid produced by the lactobacilli. You don’t have to worry about it getting spoiled easily. Sourdough bread has a low glycemic index and can help keep your blood sugar and insulin levels lower and can prevent insulin resistance and diabetes.
With sourdough, the grain, oftentimes wheat, is fermented with lactic acid bacteria and wild yeasts. In this process, the grain is metabolized by the bacteria and lactic acid is produced. Sourdough has reduced simple sugar content and high levels of lactic acid, which makes it unique from other types of bread. Also, it is always best to make your own sourdough bread as you know what is going on there.
Once you have an active starter going on, you can start baking the bread. You need to take care of lot of things, do not use chlorinated water, if starter not active you are wasting money. So, make sure to feed more often to make them happy and hungry. So, they can make good healthy delicious bread.
Why Turmeric Sourdough?
Turmeric or curcumin is one of healthiest spice you can see in the world. Yes, it is used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb. The craze for it started in the western world only after science started to show their anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. It helps in brain function as well as helps to keep the heart healthy
Again, if you use too much turmeric it makes everything bitter so make sure to take small amount rather adding 1 tbsp turmeric in a single curry or turmeric latte. I use maximum ¼ tsp turmeric in curries. For this Sourdough bread too, I used only 1 tsp turmeric. If you want, you can go 1 1/2 tsp about 3g. I didn’t incorporate any other spices; you can try with cumin seeds or ginger in you want.
Once you feed the starter make the leaven and autolyse the flours I used both bread flour and high extraction multigrain flours and then started making the sourdough bread and next day bake and enjoy.
Turmeric Sourdough Bread
- For Leaven
- 100 g Bread flour
- 15 g High Extraction Multigrain flour
- 20 g active sourdough starter
- 75 g water
- For the dough
- 300 g bread flour
- 100 g High Extraction multigrain flour
- Entire leaven
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 290 g water
- 9 g salt
- Prepare Levan
- Mix all the ingredients for leaven and set aside for about 6 hours.
- In another bowl bread flour, multigrain flour, turmeric and water and mix well and 6 hours.
- Bread dough
- When leaven is ready mix with autolyzed flour mix to form as shaggy dough. Set aside for 30 minutes before adding salt.
- After adding salt, fold the dough at 2 one-hour interval and then laminate the dough for another 1 hour and coil fold the dough 1-hour interval for next two hours and then shape the dough.
- Once you shaped the dough transfer to banneton and set aside refrigerator for cold ferment for 12 hours.
- Next morning pre-heat oven to 47Score the dough and transfer the dough into cold Dutch oven.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven for 475 F for 20 min. Then reduce the temp to 450F for another 20 minutes Then remove the lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.