Delicious simple Whiskey Sour is made with fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, egg white and Rye whiskey.
If you are looking for a simple and delicious whiskey cocktail, then try this Whiskey Sour. I like cocktails than on the rocks drinks. This Whiskey sour simple drink made with just 4 ingredients. The best part is that you can make it at home.
What is a whiskey sour?
It is a drink that is not that sweet. Also, Whiskey Sour has history dating back way back to 1870, as stated in a Wisconsin newspaper. Spirit, citrus and sugar are the major players and come together in the Whiskey Sour, whose has long history.
Even though the original three-ingredient cocktail is still the best-known version, other early renditions of the drink have since gone on to become classics in their own right, if it topped with red wine-then it becomes New York Sour, on the other hand it becomes frothy Boston Sour when made with egg white.
Usually it is made with bourbon, then there is a rye whiskey version too. I decide to use rye whiskey in the recipe.
How to make Whiskey Sour
1) Whiskey: I used Texas Crown Club Whisky, you can use your favorite whiskey or bourbon of choice.
2) Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is one of the key ingredients.
3) Simple syrup: I used homemade simple syrup with Sugar and water ratio in the ratio of 1:1. Add everything and just bring to boil until sugar dissolves. There are several whiskey sour recipes out there that call for a heaping bar spoon of sugar. You can use that too, but simple syrup combination is much better
4) Egg white: I used egg white to give that class frothy texture. However, if you are vegan you can use aquafaba. I was planning to use it, however, my aquafaba / chickpea cooked water got ruined.
Garnish: I used simple lemon peel and maraschino cherry.
Points to remember while make Whiskey Sour?
1) First you need make dry shake with egg white and lemon juice first and then add the alcohol, simple syrup and 5 ice cubes and shake well.
You can do a reverse-shake also : A reverse dry shake starts by shaking a cocktail’s ingredients over ice. The drink is then strained and the ice discarded so that the liquid can be re-shaken, without ice (the “dry” step, also called the “mime shake”), after which it’s strained again into a glass.
2) You need to double strain since it has egg white.
3) Serve with ice
4) Garnish with either lemon peel or maraschino cherry, if not orange wheel also nice. If you like bitters, try to add angostura bitters.
This recipe is adapted from here. I skipped bitters from the recipe. Usually whiskey sours are served in Rock glass or coupe glass.
If you like this whiskey sour here is other whiskey cocktail in the blog
- Cocktail shaker
- 2 ounce Whiskey I used Texas crown club Whisky
- 0.75 Simple syrup
- 0.75 lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- Ice cubes
- Lemon peel
- Maraschino cherry
- In shaker add egg white,lemon juice and dry shake well
- Then add whiskey, simple syrup and 5 ice cubes and mix well again
- Double strain and serve with ice on rock glass.
- Garnish with lemon peel and maraschino cherry.
I have received the Texas Crown Club Whiskey, However all the opinion are mine.
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.