Delicious Whole Wheat Sourdough Sandwich bread made with whole wheat flour and atta with touch of sweetness from honey.
Yes, I love sourdough and I am making a sourdough bread sandwich after a while. This time I tried 100% whole wheat sandwich bread. I used two kinds of whole wheat flour. You can try with your favorite peanut butter, ja, or jelly just like I did.
Why whole wheat sourdough Sandwich bread?
Sourdough is a healthier alternative to regular whole wheat bread. Although it has comparable nutrients, the lower phytate levels mean it is more digestible and nutritious.
The prebiotics also help to keep the gut bacteria happy, and it may be less likely to spike blood sugar levels.
Also, it is not filled with lot of preservative of unknown compounds as a store-bought version of sandwich bread.
How to make whole wheat sourdough sandwich bread?
First develop a strong starter. If you do not have it in hand, please check here to make one.
Since you are using Whole wheat flour you need to autolyse the flour few hours ahead of time. At the start just mix flour and water and set aside for least 3-4 hours, if you give more time that will be better.
This time I have added diastatic malt powder I think that gives better rise. You can add that if you have it in hand if not, you can skip that.
I used honey as sweetener so that kids can also eat bread. You can skip if you just want the taste of whole wheat.
If you are planning a same day bake, start early in the morning. Otherwise you can do second proof after refrigeration as I did in the recipe. It does not increase any sourness.
I used Kitchen Aid mixer for the initial mixing and did only 2 stretch and fold. If you want, you can increase the amount of stretch and folds.
I did not add any vital gluten flour if you want you can add that. I have seen its impact in the whole wheat yeast dough which give higher rise but not sure about whole wheat sourdough bread, so I skipped it.
I have used both two whole wheat flours, one is King Arthur Whole wheat flour and other one Indian Chakki Atta. Problem with Chakki Atta is that flour is obtained by grinding wheat in a plate/disc mill. The mill consists of two chilled-case corrugated iron plates placed vertically. One of the plates is stationary, while other rotates.
The wheat entering from the hopper is ground between the plates due to shearing action as well as the friction.
Grinding of wheat in disc mills is very severe when compared to roller flour milling, hence the damaged starch content present in atta (14-18 %) is more than King Arthur wheat flour (8-10%).
Because of high content of damaged starch atta can extend thin, however it will not give enough rise as bread. You need to add extra vital gluten if you are using atta alone for making bread.
This recipe has around 88% hydration. You need to adjust hydration depending upon the quality of whole wheat flour. It has been see that up to 103 % hydration of whole grain dough can bake smooth bread loaf.
Bake at 375°F for 40 -45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the sides of the loaf feel firm. Remove the loaves from the oven and turn them out of the pans onto a rack to cool. Let them cool completely before slicing. Otherwise you get gummy sandwich loaf.
Again, this loaf will be soft with some texture or it will not be entirely soft as you seen in grocery store aisle.
If you are fan of sourdough bread, then give a try to this sandwich loaf. If you tried this recipe, please tag me @nidhinikhil Instagram or @zestysouthindiankitchen in Facebook.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Welcome to Bread Bakers! This month, our them is Sandwich Bread and our host is Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories.
- Eggless White Sandwich Bread by Sneha's Recipe
- Farmhouse White Sandwich Bread by Making Miracles
- Just Bread Sandwich Loaf by A Messy Kitchen
- Pain de Mie aka Pullman Loaf by Food Lust People Love
- Sourdough Burger Buns by Cook with Renu
- Sourdough Discard Sandwich Bread by Ambrosia
- Sourdough Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread by Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Struan Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Subway Sandwich Bread by Anybody Can Bake
Whole Wheat Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- 15 g Active Sourdough Starter I used whole wheat Starter
- 35 g Whole wheat flour King Arthur flour
- 50 g Water
- 450 g Whole Wheat Flour King Arthur flour
- 75 g Chakki Atta Indian Whole Wheat flour
- 460 g of water
- 9 g Salt
- 20 g Honey
- 45 g Coconut oil
- 6 g Diastatic malt powder
- First make Leavain with 15g active sourdough starter, whole wheat flour and water and set aside for 6 hours at room temperature.
- Add both whole wheat flour and Atta, diastatic malt powder, into a bowl and add around 425 g of water and mix well and set aside for 3-5 hours before mixing with dough.
- For dough
- In a kitchen aid stand mixer bowl, add starter, rest of water, honey, coconut oil and mix well. To this add autolyse dough and mix well make sure to knead well so that everything incorporated well. Set aside for 30 minutes and then add salt and rest of water and mix once again.
- Stretch and fold the dough after 1 hour interval for 2 hour.
- After 5 hours or once dough doubled in volume you can shape it into loaf and transfer for oiled pan
- Keep the loaf inside refrigerator. Next morning pre-heat the oven 375F 190C and place the loaf in baking sheet and bake for about 40-45 minutes
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.