Chocolate Skillet Focaccia
Chocolate skillet focaccia with cream cheese frosting and berries. Great July 4th dessert if you don't like sugary desserts
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 cups plus 2 tbsp 500g all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup 20 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp 5g fine sea salt
- ¼ cup 50 active starter
- 1 2/3 cups 400g cool water
- 1 tbsp 20 g honey
- 1 tsp 5g pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup 90 g semi-sweet chocolate chips plus extra as needed
- 5 tbsp 70 g unsalted butter melted
- Cream cheese frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup/80g powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- For topping
Make the dough: Day before baking in the evening. Add the starter, water, honey, and vanilla in a bowl and mix in flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix to combine, then finish by hand to form a rough and shaggy dough. Cover the bowl and let rest for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
After the dough has rested, add the chocolate chips to the bowl. Gently knead to incorporate, about 1 minute.
Bulk rise: Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let rise overnight at room temperature, 70°F (21°C), about 12 to 18 hours.
Second rise: Next morning melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, or in the microwave. Pour the butter into a 10-inch (25-ccast iron skillet and swirl to coat. Cool for a few minutes before adding the dough. Remove the dough into the skillet, and then flip it over to coat both sides in the melted butter. Cover and let rest for about 1 hour or more, until very puffy. The butter may solidify during this stage, depending on the room temperature.
Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
Assemble the focaccia: Gently dimple and stretch the dough to reach the sides of the skillet. Sprinkle with a small handful of extra chocolate chips, pressing them into the dough as you go.
Bake: Bake the focaccia for 25-28 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
Make cream cheese frosting In a kitchen aid stand mixer add cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice and beat well to form the frosting.
Add the frosting in the cooled focaccia leaving 2 inch sides. Then arrange with blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.
Tips to remember
- You can mix flour and cocoa powder first and then mix in with starter to prevent streak of different color. Otherwise make sure to mix uniformly so that you won’t see different color.
- Only mix in dough for second fermentation when the melted butter is cold. Otherwise it will affect the fermentation of dough.
- Since its chocolate focaccia you won’t see the golden-brown color when you bake. To check whether focaccia done you need to use thermometer and it should register internal temperature of 198-200F.
- While maintaining the sourdough starter use little rye flour along with 50: 50 flour and wheat flour mix will strengthen the growth
Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 343mg | Potassium: 191mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 410IU | Vitamin C: 1.5mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 4mg